Some words doesn't exist in a different language in one only word and need to be explained somehow. Can you share any?

In Spanish (from Spain) I know these ones, some of them really curious that doesn't exist in English...

-'Tutear' (verb):  addressing someone in an informal way. This makes sense in my language since there's a variant in the second person (you) used formally when addressing old (or older) people, higher rank, or simply when we meet someone we don't know even with similar age.  (To be honest I hate it when childs address me like that)

-'Empalagar' (verb):   when you eat something which is extremely sweet for your taste that makes you sick. Used also as an adjective.

-'Sujetavelas' (noun): it's like an unwanted extra person who goes out with a couple (yeah.. annoying)

-'Estadounidense':   Native from the USA. This is actually the most shocking to me and I guess that's why they call themselves Americans or North Americans but can be controversial for other citizens from the American continent. In this way I'd say this confusion is caused by the lack of this simple word.

-'Entrecejo' (noun):  the space between the eyebrows (awful word btw)

-'Estrenar' (verb):   Use / wear / perform something for the first time (I believe this words exists in your language, no?

-'Friolero' (adj):  someone who is sensitive to the cold weather or dislike it.

I might be wrong and some of these words do exists in English, in such case let me know.  

Inversely there're English words that doesn't exist in my language like the last one I learned; 'jaywalking'. I'd have never believe this word could exist in any language  :D

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you Tam, actually I've heard of several Japanese words and their beautiful meaning like 'shoganai' 'ikigai' or  the nicest to me 'nankurunaisa'. If you don't mind I'd like you to tell us about this last one :)

I like the ones you shared!  I wish I could learn this language. 

• You knew interesting Japnese words.  I didn't know the word 'nankurunaisa', but I know that it is an Okinawa dialect and means "If you try to keep carrying out something for a righteous reason, good days will come someday." after searching on the internet. The Japanese language has many dialects.

• Thank you Tam for your explanation. I didn't know Japanese had many different dialects. 

•  Oi there, folks

Indeed, it is worth while noticing that some notions in one language have no one-word expression in other languages. As you smartly noticed, the expression "entrecejo" is absolutely awful, I far better like the expression - debajo de esas dos cejas [que bonitos ojos tines - nah, not you, amigo Estanis but that hermosa and hechiciera Malaguena! :-)]

• Hi my wise friend Rys, so you're telling me you succumbed to enchantment of a southern Spanish look? Haha... no wonder why, I understand you well  :D

This reply was deleted.