"Ladies first" is a phrase encouraging perceived polite gentlemanliness, allowing the ladies to go before the men. It is a chivalrous custom. What "ladies first" behaviors do you think are necessary?

1. When you get in and out of a car, your boyfriend should open the door for you.

2. When you carry any baggage, your boyfriend should carry them.

3. When you are walking on the street with your boyfriend, he should walk along the roadway side of the sidewalk.

4. When you go to a restaurant with your boyfriend, he should pull out your chair for you.

Are there any other "ladies first" behaviors that you think are necessary? Or are those behaviors are not necessary at all? If you are male, do you act on "ladies first" behaviors that I mentioned?

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dear Tam, from my point of view "Ladies first"  is a older behaviour, I dont like it. thanks, I think is a interesting topic.

• Hello, Laura.Thank you for your comment.

• Hi, Tam, in my opinion these are two different things that you're bringing up in this post. 

1. 'Ladies first' is a general behavior towards women 
    That is quite common here in Germany. Not all men behaving like that, but many. I'm used to that men open doors for me, often they offer to let me go first (like at the checkstand in a supermarket, public transportation, elevator, waiting line), helping put on a coat, etc. 

2. How a man treats his girlfriend/wife
    What you've mentioned are classics. I don't like all of them. One thing I dislike the most is helping into the coat/jacket... that's a no no for me. ;-) Paying always the bill is also not okay with me. Since I don't like to perform silly fights in front of a waiter, I'm sneaking away from the table after eating dinner, saying that I'm hitting the ladies' room, and then I pay secretly the bill. ;-D Pulling out the chair is also a no no. XD Although, I like to take his jacket when it suddenly starts to rain, and I'm wearing a summer dress. Carrying my stuff...? Well, if it's heavy... or a lot... then he can help me of course, otherwise not. Opening the car when I'm getting in is okay, but not when getting out. 

I don't think any of this is necessary, but when it's done with love it's a nice gesture. ;)) 

• Hello, NotAClue. Thank you for sharing your opinion.

• Arigato Tam! They are always first. in all aspects of life, they are the first. Thanks for sharing. 

• Excellent, Dara :)

• Hi, Dara. Thank you for your comment. If men think as you think, women would be happy.

• Hi Tam

I can do all above just fine.... but once in a while.. why not ... lol

a girl needs feeling special always.  

• Hi, Fizzy. Thank you for your comment. Haha, yes, it seems so.

• Hello Tam, 

Nice discussion.

1. Not necessary. If it does, it will be just a sweet thing to me. However, I'll be not patient, I will get out of the car by myself. :D

2. Not always, if it is heavy, YES. :D

3. Naturally, YES. But sometimes, I forgot. lol

4. Not necessary to me, but naturally it does. ^^

Thank you for sharing this discussion.

This reply was deleted.