"Bunga Raya" or hibiscus is the National flower of Malaysia. It was chosen by Malaysia's First Prime Minister's wife 50 years ago. The hibiscus was chosen from a selection of seven flowers; Gardenia, Jasmine, Ylang-ylang, Lotus, Spanish Cherry, Rose and Hibiscus. It was chosen for its unique five-petals and red in colour. The red colour symbolises bravery, political solidarity and economic strength whereas the five petals symbolises the principal of Malaysia's Pillars of State.

What is your National (or your City) symbol? What is the story behind it?

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dear NancyAntonieta

I too had watched your "cueca" dance. It look a very happy dance. Thank you for sharing it.

• This reply was deleted.
    • Hi ramiz, thank you for sharing. You made me search the meaning of "bosphorus" because I don't understand why it's the symbol of your City. LOL. What I've gathered and read was interesting. Once again, thank you.

• Hehehe NancyAntonieta, I'm sure you can dance. I'm unfortunately have two left feet. I cannot dance if I have to do it even to save my life. LOL. But I want to share a photo of one of the most common traditional dance over here. It's called "Zapin".

2394228592?profile=original

• Dear NancyAntonieta

First of all, this is the first time that I've come across a Chilean in EC. Thank you for answering this discussion.

Really nice to read the information about your country. I must admit I don't know much about Chile, I'm sorry for my ignorant.

Your country is full of history. I like the animals in your emblem. They are really shown the strength of your people in resisting the Spanish invasion. 

Thank you for sharing it. By the way, can you dance the Cueca? :-)

• saladin he is the founder of the Citadel on muqatm hills .. it is very unique one coz the reasons why they chose it .. they chose the highest point in Cairo to set it and settle ; to well defend .. against the conquerors and there is a theroy relating for this place .. THE FRESH AIR there .. if u leave a piece of meat on a wall it won`t get waste ... for many days.

his reign was flowership.

He is  great legend for arab and inspire for us .. coz he has defend arab countries against the crusaders and regain Jerusalem, also his successors stop the Mongolian attacks towards arab... they destroy everything they faced.. and burn the scientific books in Iraq and threw it in the river untill it get black color from the ink.. so if they overcome over Egyptian it would be the end of arab world !!

• many movies about his life, Hollywood : the kingdom of the heaven , Egyptian one : ennasir saladin .. the victor saladin.

here is his citadel 2393972719?profile=original

2393972762?profile=original

• Shining Star of HER Thank you for that lovely photos. Since I don't like watching movies, maybe I'll find some articles about him. You made me really curious. Thank you once again.

•  Shining Star of HER, Thank you for the links. I'll have a look on them later. :-D

• no wonder coz i am a tour guide. so i know well about my country, and thanks for  the  Egyptian friend Jeocanda, who introduced nice  image and info about country, i just contribute little with my info and really i loved this blog it is RICH one i enjoyed and can not stop reading coz i am interested in culture exchange :))

This reply was deleted.