We all know what an Onomatopoeia is (when a word sounds like the thing or action it describes (=written sounds))

Here are some of the english 'written sounds' that you probably have seen around more often:

'zzzz' - sleepy/sleeping
'Grrr' _ Angry
'hahaha' - Laughter (probably the most common one!)
'muahahaha' - Evil laughter

'aaugh' - Dismay
'achoo!' - Sneezing
'argh', 'gasp' - Choking
'Oh!' - Surprise
'Yuck!' - Disgust
'Woo-Hoo!' - joy
'Ahem' - clearing one's throat
'Boo-hoo' -Crying
'Geez' - disbelief or exaspertion
'Hmpf' - doubt or contempt
'Huh' - Surprise, disbelief or confusion
'Oops' - Apology, surprise, dismay
'Ouch' - Pain or displeasure
'Phew!' - Relief
'Tsk' - Contempt, impatience
'Yay!' - Triumph
'D'oh / Doh / Duh' - Sudden recognition of a foolish or ironic thing/situation

But there are many many many many more!:

BAM * POW * ZOOOM * CRASH* BANG! * PUFF* BOOM* POP* SLURP* WHAM * BIFF * SHOK * SIGH * SLAM * FLOSHSH * SFFFZZZ * SKRRRK * SPLONK * BLOOF * BLAM * KAA-BOOM * SIGH * EEK EEK * HOO HOO * BOO! * WOOP WOOP * WOO-WOO * BADUM! * BAMF * BARF * BEEP BEEP! * BLLGH BLLLGGGH BLLLLLGGGGGHH * BLOP * BLURP * BOMP * BRUM-BRUM * BWOW-CHCKA-BWOW * BZZZ * CLANK * CLAP * CLICK * BLAH BLAH * BURP * GULP * HM * HUSH * PSST * OW * SHAZAM! * SHEESH * SHOO * SLURP * UGH * WAHOO * UH-HUH * WOAH * WOW * WHOOPS * YIKES * (Insert infinite symbol here)

Sooo... What's the sound effect that describes you best today?
(or that describes your day) 

You can make up your own sound if you prefer, and tell us about it too!
Be creative! :D

Thanks in advance for reading, and for your humor sense!

Interesting resource about this topic:
The Onomatopoeia Dictionary: www.writtensound.com

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That's a funny sound effect haha... Even if I've no clue how I could use it :P
    I don't know that book, but I've read "Breakfast of Champions" by Vonnegut. The style of that book is really interesting :)

RichardofYork said:

It's a mad book by Kurt Vonnegut

What is the sound effect that describes you best today?
    We all know what an Onomatopoeia is (when a word sounds like the thing or action it describes (=written sounds)) Here are some of the english 'writte…
  • It's a mad book by Kurt Vonnegut

• Have you read 'Wampeters, Fomas and Grandfalloons' ?

• FOOOIIIINNNN-ZZZAPPP

• GEE means WOW?? .... WOW! :D
    I didn't know that setareh, thanks for your contribution! :)

setareh's Discussions
    setareh's Discussions | MyEnglishClub (MyEC), your page in English
  • Interesting! I didn't know a lot of them. Thanks for sharing. How about GEE, it means WOW? Did you mentioned it? To create a new one, well it's quite challenging.:) I will think about it.

• Eva! Sorry I didn't see your answer here before! 

Oh believe me, your answers are never boring! :D
    I wonder what sound effect could describe a 'Perfect' day... mmmmm....
    I just can imagine a kind of cat sound like puuurrrr·fect :3 

Thanks for dropping by! :)

Evangelina said:

MARY

LOOOL, even reading this was fun...

Well here is a boring answer...I mostly use:

Ooooh waaaooow - Oooh whaat - Superb - Perfect...in my daily life.

Thank you for sharing this. :-)
    We all know what an Onomatopoeia is (when a word sounds like the thing or action it describes (=written sounds)) Here are some of the english 'writte…
  • Good luck! Don't forget to wear earplugs! And an extra wide brim sun hat!

MARY said:

haha I know what you mean!... I've a friend who is like that and I'm gonna meet her in few minutes... So my day will be like that too :S

A738a said:

My aunt visited us today. Yay! Everybody in our family is scared of her, actually. She's kinda full of herself, you know? So my day was like this: Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,...,∞+1!

anigif_enhanced_buzz_1113_1424902829_5_by_iamverylucky-d8p5ah6.gif

• haha I know what you mean!... I've a friend who is like that and I'm gonna meet her in few minutes... So my day will be like that too :S

A738a said:

My aunt visited us today. Yay! Everybody in our family is scared of her, actually. She's kinda full of herself, you know? So my day was like this: Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,...,∞+1!

• My aunt visited us today. Yay! Everybody in our family is scared of her, actually. She's kinda full of herself, you know? So my day was like this: Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,...,∞+1!

This reply was deleted.