Replies

• Dear Jennifer,

Yes, it is a good query! As a non-native English user, the main barrier with me is to find someone to practice English; I think the English language is now globalized, and so it belongs to people who use it in different contexts for their activities. In this connected world, I really want to study the global English rather than focusing much on grammar and related stuff; beyond doubt, what is called “casual English”. In writing, people are interested in including “dense words”, but I think we need to think of different approaches because the English language has been spread so fast in the world, and it is now called the official language (lingua franca) in the world. This is the beginning of the future common language of our world. So, in this context, I think that new strategies should be implemented in English teaching. My country, Sri Lanka, was a British colony, so to find grammar books and other related stuff is really easy in the local realities, but I really expect something beyond it. I don’t say that grammar is not important, but a person doesn’t want to study a langue for the sake of the language or for the sake of the grammar of that language. The main idea of learning a global language like English is to establish close rapport with other people around the world. It means “strong interaction plus communication”.   

Good Luck and bye for now!

• To me ,I think I would like to know about the abnormal English items / rules  ( grammar,reading,etc ),because when preparing for Toefl test,it happens that a exam'taker faces new things about English specially thsoe things that he or she did not pay attention before ,so I need to know what I will get

in case taking a test like toefl ?

• Okay! Interesting. Until then, have you explored EnglishClub's TOEFL preparation info? I have used it with previous students, and it's helpful!

Any examples of "abnormal" English you have seen so far?
      Thanks SaleM!

This reply was deleted.