Old age is unavoidable. The older we get, the more our physical fitness and five senses deteriorate. Elderly people are easily fired and can't get a new job easily. They are sometimes treated as a burden on society.

However, before we could get information easily by mass media and social media, the experience and information that elderly people had was precious and useful, so they were more respected than nowadays. What are the values of elderly people?

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Have you seen the 'oak tree'.  The older the oak tree is,  let more people enjoy its cool shade during the hot season.

The ole people are like this, they always try to absorb the hardships of their loved ones showing their ways how they passed their hardships.  

We the sons and daughters unfortunately realize their value when they are no more, when they are gone.  I have already experienced this, and now myself is entering into this stage.

• Hello, Mishaikh. Thank you for sharing your opinion. Your example for the elderly is very interesting.

• Hi Tam,

Generally, elder people had a lot of experiences. Surely we can ask them to tell their experience so that we take a lesson from that. However, if it is not the case, at least they KNOW and HAD LIVED in the period that we don't know about it. History. Yes, history is a precious lesson for us.

Elder people created history that younger people can take a lesson from that.

Thank you for your thoughful discussion.

• Hi, Onee-chan. Thank you for sharing your opinion. Yes, we can learn from history. Elderly people made history. We live on what they made.

• Hi Tam!  Imo, older people are invaluable treasures in the world. They are our mines of love, teachers of patience,  experience sharing from all walks of life.

• Hi, Helen S. Thank you for sharing your opinion.

• Arigato Tam! We have a saying, (if you do not have an elder one, search for one). Thanks for sharing. 

• Hi, Dara. Thank you for sharing the saying.

• The value of older people? Everyone has to answer this question for himself.

Let me just say the following: 

Most people want to grow old, but they don't want to be old.

Defining old people by their age is a mistake because they have more to offer than just that.
    Many old people take their experiences to the grave because nobody asked them about sharing them. These are unused treasures that will be lost forever.
    Personality doesn't age even if we don't always notice it.
    Unfortunately, the younger generation will only understand this if they are old themselves.
    All questions about existing needs, dreams, wishes will then be answered automatically.
    You will see when you are old, the younger ones will ask you the same questions as you are asking right now.
    That is the cycle and the eternal question of life, and only life itself can answer.

• Hi, Rose. Thank you for sharing your opinion. I think that people become old when they think they are old. I like your word "Personality doesn't age". I think that mind also doesn't age if we keep it in mind.

This reply was deleted.