We love IDIOMS!

Share an idiom (or some idioms) you like from your country/language and try to translate it in english (or to find the english version)

Here some idioms that I like from my country:

- 'No hay mal que por bien no venga' or: 'Todo lo que sucede, conviene'.
= Every cloud has a silver lining / Not all devils leads to harm / To be a blessing in disguise
Meaning: sometimes bad things/situations can bring us other good things/situations that we didn't expect.

- 'El que excusa, se acusa'
= 'He who excuses himself, accuses himself' (literal translation)
Meaning: When someone is giving too many explanations, maybe it's 'cause he/she is guilty :P

- 'Si dices las verdades, pierdes las amistades'
= If you tell the truth, you'd lose your friends' (literal translation)
Meaning: Sometimes it's better not to be 'too honest' :P

-'Rectificar es de sabios'
= Similar to say in english: 'To err is human', but not exactly the same...
Meaning: It takes a wise man/woman to recognize that he/she was wrong

-'Poco a poco se anda lejos'
He who perseveres will succeed
Meaning: When you work on something every day, you can get/achieve great things.

---

And here some links to help you to look for the english version of your idioms:

Reverso Context

Wordreference

Linguee

or just Google :P

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello, here in Italy where I live, we say that "volere è potere", translated as follows: where there is a will, there is a can (this is one of my favourite sayings because with your will you could have many things that in other ways are impossible to reach). Other sayings very popular are as follows: il diavolo non è così brutto come lo si dipinge that we can tranlate in this way the devil is not so bad as he appears (this is used to say that we couldn't judge anything/anyone from the appearance, but from the substance). La gatta frettolosa fece i mici ciechi e tali poi restarono we could translate it as follows: the impatient cat had the mices but they remained blind (it is a warning to not become impatient, because impatience is one of worst things we have in our life).

Other sayings/idioms are here reported: Ogni cosa al suo tempo/a tempo debito (Everything at due time, it's used to say that everything needs its time to be realized), Zucca e melone alla sua stagione (Pumpkin and cantaloupe at its season, in fact pumpkin is a fall/winter product while cantaloupe is a summer product, so they can't be find at the same time in all supermarkets in the fruit/vegetable section). 

For me it is very useful much moore than Google translator this website:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org

that shows you every word you need to know in the best way you could wish. Have a nice Sunday and best wishes to everyone of you.

Cambridge Dictionary | English Dictionary, Translations & Thesaurus
    The most popular dictionary and thesaurus for learners of English. Meanings and definitions of words with pronunciations and translations.

• Ciao Rita!
      Oh, I love to read italian language... Some of the idioms that you have mentioned here are very similar in my country... but I guess that's obvious ;)

Btw, i think the first idiom you mention is: 'when there is a will, there is a way'. I really like that idiom as well.

The Cambridge Dictionary site is another good resource. Thanks for sharing!

• it's always been an interesting topic to ponder on idioms, their weird construction, and the stories behind them... I remember I shared two blogs about this topic before... and here I am quoting two proverbs from the blog I wrote before:

1st is: turn the jar on her mouth, daugher and mother are always alike:

Don't ask me what in the world the meaning of "turn the jar on her mouth" is!!! the rest of the proverb is clear, I guess... and the most important is that these two sentences rhyme in Arabic language,So you can say that the first sentence is just a tautology...

2nd is: within a bite of a zuchini:

if something happens or will happen within a bite of a zuchini, it's imminent and will take no long to happen... by the way, the anecdote behind the proverb is really amusing. Here is the link, if you would like to read about it.

Meaningful and Meaningless Proverbs
    With reference to my previous blog, I tell you the proverb that drew all this topic (It's just for fun). The proverb literally says: “Turn the jar on…
    • That first idiom of yours is like the old saying: 'like mother, like daughter'. Notice that I say 'old' because now people tend to avoid using this kind of idioms that have been always used in a very sexist context.
      But this version yours sounds even worse (because of the 'mouth' thing)... Anyway, as I said before: idioms says a lot about how is the culture of a country or community.

• Oi there, folks

I am in a tight spot as most of Polish words are a nightmare for a foreigner to pronunce properly, therefore I shall take the liberty to choose some less nightmarish to pronunce idioms/sayings:

For a start I shall present a Polish saying with "sausage" in it as it caught the fancy of the readers here:

Nie dla psa kiełbasa - The sausage is not for the dog - This saying is used when something wanted by somebody is not for him to have.

Kto daje i zabiera, w piekle się poniewiera - Who gives and takes it back in hell he will end, [I guess no explaining is needed here]

Daj chłopu zegarek! - Give the redneck a watch! Don't give any complicated gadgets to a simpleton.

Gdzie kucharki dwie, nie ma co jeść - Where there are two cooks, there is nothing to eat. The English version is - Too many cooks spoil the broth.

Nie wywołuj wilka z lasu - Don't call the wolf out of the woods. Do not tempt/provoke/dare.  

I did not give the pronunciatin intentionally as not to get the readers' tongues tied in a knot! ;-)

•  

Rys, your language is a German train station to me!  I was trying to pronouce these words but I feel like if I was speaking a kind of alien language XD

How nice of you to share more idioms about sausages. Yesterday I didn't know any and today I can name 4! haha...

From these idioms you've shared, I knew the one about the cooks; and I like that one of Nie wywołuj wilka z lasu... I kinda like to call the wilka in MyEc sometimes :D

• :D Interesting!

The idioms about kielbasa and cooks sound very funny to me!

We have something similar here, but with housekeepers instead of cooks.

• And what about "PSA" Roman )) ?? I guess not only kielbasa )) I do like Rys's idioms.

I'll need some time to remember ours )))

• I ment the idioms, not a single word :)

Actually, I was able to understand Rys's idioms without English translation. To my surprise they somehow contain the words, that are very similar or the same with Ukrainian words.

• Nie dla psa kielbasa....wow....I know Polish...

Joeyfriends Wisdom GIF - Joeyfriends Friends Joey GIFs

This reply was deleted.