sleep

Sleeping more than eight hours a day is good for the health, or is it bad? Sleep is like death.  Our eyes are closed, our nervous system is inactive. Our muscles... even our consciousness is not available. It is comparable to death, or am I mistaken? 

What happens when we sleep? Is there any difference between sleep, naps, dozes, siestas, or snoozes? Can we stay without sleep for more than twenty-four hours?

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Terima Kasih Kamarul.Thanks for  pressing the like button .

•  

Hi Dara,

Nice discussion, according to national sleep foundation, sleep requirements vary slightly from person to person, most healthy adults need between 7 to 9 hours of sleep per night to function at their best. Children and teens need even more. And despite the notion that our sleep needs decrease with age, most older people still need at least 7 hours of sleep. Since older adults often have trouble sleeping this long at night, daytime naps can help fill in the gap.

Average Sleep Needs by Age
    Age Hours Needed May be appropriate
    Newborn to 3 months old 14 – 17 hrs 11 – 19 hrs
    4 to 11 months old 12 – 15 hrs 10 – 18 hrs
    1 to 2 years old 11 – 14 hrs 9 – 16 hrs
    3 to 5 years old 10 – 13 hrs 8 – 14 hrs
    6 to 13 years old 9 – 11 hrs 7 – 12 hrs
    14 to 17 years old 8 – 10 hrs 7 – 11 hrs
    Young adults (18 to 25 years old) 7 – 9 hrs 6 – 11 hrs
    Adults (26 to 64 years old) 7 – 9 hrs 6 – 10 hrs
    Older adults (65+) 7 – 8 hrs

5 – 9 hrshttp://https://www.helpguide.org/articles/sleep/sleep-needs-get-the...

• Azno ya mujdadan, mumnoon Saba! Once more, thanks for those valuable tips on Sleep. No doubt, sleep requirements vary from one person to the other. The provided list gives the reader a quick note about the different ages of individuals and their hours of sleep. Thanks again Saba for your useful comment on Sleep. 

• Mumnoona Saba! Thanks Saba. I shall give my reply tomorrow.  Now, it's late at night. 

• Sleeping is just for Battery Recharging, and sometimes because the healt is not so gud i think.

• Muchas gracias Nestor,  I  think you might say so.Thanks for your nice comment. 

• Shukran ya Miss Hadeel! Thanks for pressing the like button.

• Hi Dara

Regarding this topic there is a research about the effect of sleep on the heart which is published in the European Heart Journal. The research result says that a heart problem increases when one have a longer sleep which is more than 6 hour. The longer we sleep the higher the risk of heart problem. However the research also mention that it was not sure whether the length of sleep was causing the heart problem or the heart problem itself was the one causing the patient to sleep longer. Anyway, sleep is very important and we should have enough sleep to function very well during the day.

• Saya senang berkenalan dengan anda, Kamarul. You have added new information. According to the research, the longer we sleep the higher the risk of heart problems. Believe me Kama, I thought just the other way round. I  thought that sleeping more hours during the night time may avoid a lot of heart problems. Of course, I was mistaken.

I read about  German researchers who had the same result and they are still working on it.  I guess you are right about having enough sleep to get ready for the next day's activities. Thanks, Kamarul. I really appreciate your comment. 

• You are welcome dara. I am just sharing too little info that i know.

Yes according to research too little or too much sleep is also not good. Enough sleep is about 6 to 9 hours. A recent research shows that sleep less than 6 hour could increase the risk of heart attack about 20%, and sleep more than 9 hours could increase heart attack about 34%. Of course there are also other factors that leads to heart attack but sleep is one of them.

Source:
      1. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0735109719359492...

Sleep Duration and Myocardial Infarction
      Observational studies suggest associations between extremes of sleep duration and myocardial infarction (MI), but the causal contribution of sleep to…
This reply was deleted.