sleep

Sleeping more than eight hours a day is good for the health, or is it bad? Sleep is like death.  Our eyes are closed, our nervous system is inactive. Our muscles... even our consciousness is not available. It is comparable to death, or am I mistaken? 

What happens when we sleep? Is there any difference between sleep, naps, dozes, siestas, or snoozes? Can we stay without sleep for more than twenty-four hours?

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• We have a Awakening dua I only know its translation: ALL PRIASE FOR YOU, WHO BRINGS ME FROM THE CONDITION OF DEAD TO ALIVE.  The word shows that sound sleep is  like one is 'dead'.

These days I am having the sleep of less than sometimes 5 hours.  It is because my protest gland problem wakes me up after only 2 or less hour of sleep, Sometimes I wake up twice in the night.  What is 8 hour sleep, I do not know now.

• Abi namaz ka time, doosri dafa. Thanks, Mr. Mishaikh for your nice comment. It is about time for Duhur prayer. I shall come back to answer the import points of your nice comment. Before that, let me wish all the health. May Allah bless you. Thanks again. 

• Sub sei paihili, aap acha hain Mishaikh sahib!  Dear Mr. Mishaikh, I hope that you are always in good health.  They say that sometimes illness wipes our sins and makes us pure like newly born babies. Of course, you know it.  From that duaa, I tried to make some resemblance between sleep and death. If you look at the comment of our boss and the important points which that handsome gentleman, Mr. Rysperski stated, you would find some of that. 

I tried to find a factor or factors between sleep and death. It is a state that we are utterly motionless. I mean when we fall asleep. Our hearts are pumping the blood during sleep, isn't that correct? It could be the main difference between sleep and death. Of course, I am not sure about it, just supposing.  Nevertheless, thanks for your nice and wise comment. 

• What role does each state and stage of sleep play?

NREM (75% of night): As we begin to fall asleep, we enter NREM sleep, which is composed of stages 1-4

N1 (formerly "stage 1")

• Between being awake and falling asleep
    • Light sleep

N2 (formerly "stage 2")

• Onset of sleep
    • Becoming disengaged from surroundings
    • Breathing and heart rate are regular
    • Body temperature drops (so sleeping in a cool room is helpful)

N3 (formerly "stages 3 and 4")

• Deepest and most restorative sleep
    • Blood pressure drops
    • Breathing becomes slower
    • Muscles are relaxed
    • Blood supply to muscles increases
    • Tissue growth and repair occurs
    • Energy is restored
    • Hormones are released, such as: Growth hormone, essential for growth and development, including muscle development

REM (25% of night): First occurs about 90 minutes after falling asleep and recurs about every 90 minutes, getting longer later in the night

• Provides energy to brain and body
    • Supports daytime performance
    • Brain is active and dreams occur
    • Eyes dart back and forth
    • Body becomes immobile and relaxed, as muscles are turned off

In addition, levels of the hormone cortisol dip at bed time and increase over the night to promote alertness in morning.

Sleep helps us thrive by contributing to a healthy immune system, and can also balance our appetites by helping to regulate levels of the hormones ghrelin and leptin, which play a role in our feelings of hunger and fullness. So when we’re sleep deprived, we may feel the need to eat more, which can lead to weight gain.

Well, folks, I hope I managed to enlighten u a bit! ;)

• Jeenkey Rysperski! An important essay about that topic. I shall come back later to review and get more information from it. Take care and see you later.

• Yak shee Majch, Rysperski?  Enlightening us! To tell the  truth, you have  provided the reader with useful information. Honestly, the  members of the club can benefit a lot from those valuable pints.                            I will encourage the  readers to look at them. By the way,  extend my regards to those  two gorgeous daughters of yours. Please, tell them to stay beautiful like that.  Again, I thank you for adding and at the  same time  giving "Sleep" extra tips. Thanks,  Rys.

• Very smart questions Dara, as usual. 

I believe sleep is more like paralysis than death. We cannot fall asleep until we are in a state of paralysis, or so I have read from a sleep doctor.

Probably too much sleep is not good, but for sure too little is bad. And modern life encourages too little sleep. Best is to sleep with the sun. That way, at the north and south poles you can sleep for six months :)

• Hi Mr. Essberger, how are you? I hope you and your family are doing well. I was just reading some of the answers to my blog, Sleep. I was just wondering if it was possible to sleep for 6 months.  lol,  Thanks, my respected boss for your marvelous website. I have enjoyed meeting people and friends. I hope to visit you someday. Thanks again.  

• Mr. Essberger, did you mean it could not be compared to death? In paralysis, can we move our eyes or our eyelashes? Can we smile? I mean we move our lips or jaws. The comparison is somewhat far. I mean death and sleep. I tried to connect between the complete stoppage of our organs during sleep and death. Of course, I am trying to learn about it. That sleep doctor could be right.  By the way, I like taking siestas for at least one hour or so.  Many pens wrote about sleep. It is not new or old. Thanks, boss for your quick answers on this live topic.

• Hi, Sir . Did you read the Seven Sleepers ?....

This reply was deleted.