The Death Penalty also commonly referred as the death sentence or the capital punishment, it can be handed to those who convicted of a murder, rape or any other capital offences.

There have been many heated debates when it goes to the death penalty. Some view it in a moral standpoint where others look at it in a criminal standpoint. The death penalty is the most strict punishment as it allows the state to take away the most fundamental part of a human being, his or her life. Death penalty is recognized as a brutal and cruel process. Therefore international organizations and covenants try to abolish it for good.

The Main arguments against it are, cruelty of the execution Process, Danger of executing the innocent and Moral and religious reasons.

The main arguments for it are, it work as a deterrent in the society, retribution and cost of keeping a criminal in prison.

So, according to your knowledge should the death penalty be allowed?

If yes, Do you feel those who are facing the death penalty should be given another chance? What should be the minimum age for execution?

Some oppose death penalty for moral or religious reasons, What does your religion say about the death penalty? 

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This reply was deleted.
    • Of course I agree with you. If the death penalty is active in a country, it is extremely important that fair judgments are given after sensitizing, observing and investigating all details, facts and figures, substantial evidence, circumstances in which the crimes are committed and the mentalities of the parties involved. And also the judgment should be the same for similar cases so that, as much as humanly possible, equal cases should be treated alike, and different cases should be treated differently. Also creation of death penalty review commission to review claims of errors in individual cases and study the causes of the errors will help reducing errors.

And finally I do agree with you about the politicians pressure they put at everything. Thank you for your valuable ideas. :)

• Hi Cup cake,

It's more than proven that death penalty doesn't work or it's not efective in any country or society so in my opinion it shouldn't be allowed anywhere. That's the reason why I can't understand that it's so introduced in some "so democratic" countries in the world.
    • Actually in my country crime rate is skyrocketing because of not implementing the death penalty. So majority of the Sri Lankans believe that imposition of the death penalty would be an answer for this matter and for my self therefor I support death penalty.

Thank you for your valuable ideas anyhow :)

• Do you really believe that crime rate in these countries are lower than in Any country in the E.U. Where this punishment does not exist?
      I think it's a question of society education.
    • Yes as an example if you check UAE, they execute criminals and it's the country with lower crime rate in the world. And sometimes death penalty is all what criminals fear of, like most of convicts who are having life imprisonment knows very well that they will not be hanged and may even be freed after sometime based on good conduct and behavior. It's doubtful if we can expect them into be good citizens after spending their most of lifetime behind bars.

and some prisoners get general amnesties and they go out into the world and plan other crimes. Also most of the crimes that happen noways, are well previously planned. So I don't think that they should be forgiven. 

And I also agree with your opinion that Death Penalty is not the only way to create a better society but also it includes social education. :)

• Well, I believe in reintegration program 'cos it works at least with a number of inmates in my country.

Anyway, I should also state that I wouldn't know what to think about this question if someone near me or my family were the victim.
  • Thank you for your feedback! I personally completely agree with you :)

• Following is the extract from Dr. Zakir Naik's (An Indian Muslim preacher and scholar) lecture. This self explanatory:

"Under the Islamic shariah, a man convicted of having raped a woman, is given capital punishment. Many are astonished at this ‘harsh’ sentence. Some even say that Islam is a ruthless, barbaric religion! I have asked a simple question to hundreds of non-Muslim men. Suppose, God forbid, someone rapes your wife, your mother or your sister. You are made the judge and the rapist is brought in front of you. What punishment would you give him? All of them said they would put him to death. Some went to the extent of saying they would torture him to death. To them I ask, if someone rapes your wife or your mother you want to put him to death. But if the same crime is committed on somebody else’s wife or daughter you say capital punishment is barbaric. Why should there be double standards?"

This reply was deleted.