How do you feel about homework? Do you think teachers should give homework every night? Should elementary school children have homework? In some countries, parents are trying to ban homework. Many parents think children should have the freedom to explore, discover, and read for pleasure after school. Some teachers agree. Other people think reviewing lessons after school is an important stage of learning and preparing kids for the workforce. 

What do you think? We received this question via twitter today! 

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• in my opinion homework is very important for children to understand properly.parents use homework as an aid to teach their kids .by banning this task childrens achievement would lowered or even do not improved to the acceptable standered

• According to me, I can say that it's important for children to review their lessons because it's the only way for them to memorize their courses
  • Thank you participants.this topic is worthy  discussing .In teaching English as  a subject we should take inot cosideration that English as a subject  deffers greatly from the other subjects which deal with acnkowleging basic facts on students mother tongue...Ithink exessive daily homework is of great importance   to develope readig and writing skills .The more students write and think , the more they proceed to develop with  their  langauage .

• The last news I read was that two students in China committed suicide because they felt they failed to do their homework. And parents there, according to the news, complained about the education system that gives too many homework to students and emphasizes too much on memorizing lessons.

I remember about the time when I was at schools. Even if I didn't go to school because I was sick, I would have many homework to catch up. And not to mention about the punishments waiting for students who failed to finish their homework. I even still have nightmares of my school days where I forgot to do my homework or came late during exam days, etc.

So, I think homework still something students need. But, it shouldn't be student's nightmares as well.

• It seems the winter is too long in Canada - you can hardly wait to see the spring. Out of nowhere, green trees or other plants are already everywhere and you can take a deep breath. Enjoy the spring and the nicer summer there. So, I agree with the teacher's decision. But, that is not the case here in China where so many students are in a so fierce competition. Forget it!

• My daughter's teacher (Grade 3) stopped giving homework this week! She won't be giving any homework (other than a project and a weekly poetry reading) for the rest of the school year (7 weeks). She said she is doing this because the weather is finally nice and she wants kids to have more time to play outside. What do you think of this decision? My daughter is thrilled! 

• I agree that in some schools students get overloaded with homework.  That being said, it is still important to study beyond what is covered in the classroom.

Maybe language classes are in less need of homework than some other subjects.  I think that I would have not have survived mathematics without doing my homework.  That was the only way to work enough problems to fully understand new concepts. 

My answer is yes, homework is necessary but teachers need to avoid overloading the students.

• Homework is essential for learners they help them practice what they have already done in class.But,not too much homework because it becomes a curse instead of blessing especially for kids.

• Hi Everyone,

I am new to EC, but I thought I would like to comment on this.

As a teacher, I hate giving homework especially to my elementary students here in China. Even when they have their summer and winter breaks, they are burdened down with so much homework to complete before they come back, I really feel sorry for them. I think students both young elementary students and college students need a break from their studies everyday. I think it helps relax the mind and the body so you feel refreshed and ready to learn again. You can think better and all of a sudden what you did not understand suddenly becomes clear. It is like "Gosh, I understand that now." I think young students need a chance to play and run around after sitting in a classroom all day. Older students need time to stretch their legs and chat with friends. When I was teaching in the US, I would ask my parents to review their student's work before bedtime. Ask them questions about what they had learned that day. It is said the last thing you put in your mind at night is what you will remember the next day.

On the flip side of my feelings are the requirements that the school places on teacher to give homework assignments. When I was growing up, there was not as much to learn as there is now. I think schools feel pressured to make sure students learn everything there is to learn, and since there are only so many hours in a school day, some of the learning must take place at home in the evening. I do not envy students today. They have so many pressures of life on them they barely get the chance to live.

So as teachers, we must do what is expected of us even if we do not always agree with it. Homework is a necessary evil; always has been, always will be.

• I think homework is important too for students because they can review the lessons they get from school but if the teachers always give homework it is not wise too because the students also need time to refresh their mind after tired of studying at school. so everything must be in balance.

This reply was deleted.