How do you feel about homework? Do you think teachers should give homework every night? Should elementary school children have homework? In some countries, parents are trying to ban homework. Many parents think children should have the freedom to explore, discover, and read for pleasure after school. Some teachers agree. Other people think reviewing lessons after school is an important stage of learning and preparing kids for the workforce. 

What do you think? We received this question via twitter today! 

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• yes. teachers should give homework to students so that they will study at home. it may be an advance activity or reading for the next lesson or an assessment of the previous one. studying at home is very important. so teachers should give homework. but not every night. the students might get exhausted. once or twice a week will do just fine. :)

• It depends. Homework can be used to assess students' skill some way. When teaching a prep course for English exams for example, homework is a must. Classroom time is used for corroborating the students' weak points. For an adult communication course, it's not necessary to give homework; however some forms of homework, for example asking learners to watch a Youtube clip and later in class, having a discussion, can be adapted to increase students' fluency.

All my idea is about English teaching only.

• Yes, definitely. Homework assignments are important to students since most of them are free after school.

They definitely need to review what you have learned in their schools daily. In other words, doing their homework is an effective way to review their new lessons. =)

Giving homework is good for every student! I am in favor of teachers who assign homework.

Thank you them so much!

Former Student,

TK

• This reply was deleted.
    • I am in favor of your view. =)

Students must review in order to store their new lessons in their long-term memory. =)

• A homework is definitely necessary for students to practice what they have learned and also there should be an element of learning a bit of innovation or discovering a little bit more by themselves, that keeps the student interested as well as developing their skills.

• Hello Duan.

I take objection to your remark.

How can students do their homework if they did not learn new lessons from their teachers at the beginning? Heh.

Teachers should push their students to review what they have learned in order to achieve deep learning. =)

• I am in favor of you. Good teachers should always assign useful homework to their students. They should be motivated by what they have assigned to their students. However, bad teachers do not care about their students, so they feel unmotivated to check their indifferent students' schoolwork. =)

• So when should learn to work,... hom work helps them to learn responsibility,to do sth may they dont loke to do! and i think that's not bad.

• It depends on the students,if they control it very well and understand it totally in a class,there is no need to assign the homework,if they can't know it very well,you can give the students some homework to understand it well and review it,but preview is the point.

• Brain needs to reapet or preview to memorise some thing,if previw be kind of question or home work;it helps the lesson be quin in the student's brain!

This reply was deleted.