Hello everyone,

Another members discussion inspired me to post this discussion. It is great sometimes to be inspired from each other.

In ancient times a large part of the quotes/saying served a moralizing, didactically and educational purpose. Today many of the quotes/sayings carry along with them the breeze from ancient times and conveys the same messages.

"They are part of the language usage, and some language users, use them completely unconsciously as an integrated part of their language."

What function does the quotes/sayings actually have in the modern language usage? I believe they mostly serve a thoughtful and inspiring purpose. When we are in shortage of thoughts, when we are in shortage of words, they can inspire, help and comfort. Sometimes help us to look differently upon a situation.

I don't believe quotes/sayings are meant to change people, if that was so easily done, most of us would suffer from identity crisis.

One of my most favorite saying is this one, I also have it on my page;

Why? Because it is such a positive life confirming saying. It gives courage to not give up so easily upon things/persons that/whom matters to us. Because it teaches us to be determined, look through whatever may be the obstacles and try.

The tasks for the discussion are;

1/ Please share your most favorite quote/saying.

2/ Please try and explain why this is your favorite quote/saying.

3/ How do you interpret it.

4/ What does it mean to you personally.

Everyone without any exception is welcome to participate in the discussion. Hope to read many of your great thoughts here. Thank you.

Have fun and enjoy.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I don't know how to explain it, Evangelina. I mean that it is interesting for me to read here, in EC. But not interesting to read something else:) And to be honest I didn't read before so many like today. Before joining EC it could be 1-2 books per year. Thank you for your good words:)

Evangelina said:

Hello Roman,

What a marvelous contribution.

You are not so found of reading? Now how does that make any sense? I got the impression of that you must be a very enthusiastic reader, judging from your activity level on blog section - I found that absolutely magnificent and I hope you will keep it up that way.

I enjoyed reading your story, sometimes such kind of stories carry along with them some very essential teachings.

Your story proves that every human being have a need to be wanted, it is important for our existence to be, that we have a feeling of human worth, that we are appreciated, that our abilities are needed, that we can be something for someone.

These sentences are you pointed out;

"Don't give up if nobody needs you or your talent, maybe they are just  to blind to see how great you are! Just find someone who will appreciate you!"

I find it as a very fine and meaningful reminder.

Impressive share :)

Thank you, Roman, for noticing discussion and for your participation.
    Please Share Your Favorite Quote Or Saying.
    Hello everyone, Another members discussion inspired me to post this discussion. It is great sometimes to be inspired from each other. In ancient ti…
  • Hello Roman,

What a marvelous contribution.

You are not so found of reading? Now how does that make any sense? I got the impression of that you must be a very enthusiastic reader, judging from your activity level on blog section - I found that absolutely magnificent and I hope you will keep it up that way.

I enjoyed reading your story, sometimes such kind of stories carry along with them some very essential teachings.

Your story proves that every human being have a need to be wanted, it is important for our existence to be, that we have a feeling of human worth, that we are appreciated, that our abilities are needed, that we can be something for someone.

These sentences are you pointed out;

"Don't give up if nobody needs you or your talent, maybe they are just  to blind to see how great you are! Just find someone who will appreciate you!"

I find it as a very fine and meaningful reminder.

Impressive share :)

Thank you, Roman, for noticing discussion and for your participation.
  • Hello Estanis,

LoL, well, at least you gave it a try and that just for not letting me down - That I find outstanding, thank you so much.

Just to say, you can never do anything where I would feel you let me down, because you a to much a diplomatic person :)

Here we say something like this, I can not remember exactly "at least the floor is faithfully there when you kiss the ground."

It is a good one, of course life responds to us. Though I find it a little bit tragic comical because most of us will always say something like "what is happening" but I agree, it says something about interactions in between persons.

Good share. Good to keep in mind.

Thank you, Estanis, for noticing discussion and for your participation.
  • Hello Rosemary,

When I quoted these sentences;

"They are part of the language usage, and some language users, use them completely unconsciously as an integrated part of their language."

I was thinking of you, because I noticed you have an amazing ability - regardless what kind of blog it is or even your replies - you just have the perfect matching quote, and sometimes I just have to smile when I see your comments.

It was a wise Professor, I do agree citing a text oftentimes helps us to remember it much better.

About the Albert Einstein quote, I must say, I do agree with you that it highlighted well how narrow was the educational system.

But I believe today, there are significant changes in the educational system, it is not only a one way exchange of information, students today are much more reflective, analytical and critical towards what they hear and learn, and mostly also because they can seek a lot of information on the net.

Thank you for always sharing another part of information, always make one think :)

Also thank you, Rosemary, for noticing discussion and for your participation.
  • Hello Mr. Dara,

Yes.

If you wholeheartedly can accept me with all my flaws and limitations, and my sometimes weird ways, then I am a friend. I am a friend Mr. Dara, please never doubt.

The saying as you have shared, say many things on different levels, how must people have thought of it through hardships.

Here we say; In Adversities one get to know who are ones "friends", often they are disguised as enemies, and you will be standing alone. In such situations oftentimes a person who reach their hand out would be a person whom you didn't even expect anything from.

It is a good one, I liked it.

Thank you, Mr. Dara, for noticing discussion and for your participation.
  • Hello Teresa,

First, nice to meet you.

I can understand why this saying must touch your heart, though I think this saying has diverse meanings depending on who reads it.

Again, hearing something or reading something and then reaching to an understanding of that, depends on who we are.

Thank you, Teresa, for noticing discussion and for your participation.
  • Hello everyone,

I am really sorry, but I can not reply you all at once... it is going to be little by little :-)
  • "What doesn't kill you makes you wish it did" :D 

I like it coz It's so true...

• When death will come I will die, but I will not vanish because I am a drop, I will become the part of the ocean.

Ahmed Nadeem Qasmi.

Scholar is saying the death does not vanish us, it is a process of making us a part of a big part of HUGE NATURE. So it gives the honor of becoming great.

I like this quote because it transpires the LOVE OF A CREATION TO THE CREATOR.

Thanks Eva.

• Dear Kal, what does it mean "To win so many hearts"?
This reply was deleted.