People around the world use paper towels for cleaning in the bathrooms after defecating instead of water. This is making a lot of arguments. Can those tissues clean and remove all the litter and dirt compared to water? I can imagine how they can remove a chocolate paste or a chocolate sauce from our skin.

Naturally, water is a better cleaner than those papers. Are there any studies, researches, or scientific means to prove that? In our country, some people use paper towels, especially in public toilets.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dara we have been ritually directed to use water in the toilets for ataining cleanliness.  Will we be able to offer our prayers if we do not use water in the toilet and bathroom for cleanliness? The answer is no, so it is must to use water for this purpose.

• well, I actually don't know what to say but if we talk about preference here then I prefer to clean it with water.

• Kamu  yakin Marita? Terima Kasih! I also use water. You can be sure that area is cleaned well. On the  contrary, using paper might leave some remaining there. Thanks, my lady for your simple answer.

•  I agree with tawfeeq. The things people use to clean up after passing motion different from people to people. So we must not argue what one does to clean the mess is wrong and the other is right. For exmaple let's take people living in the arabian desert during the 7th century. Water was rare then. People were using stones to clean their anus, didn't they? Now can we argue that they were unclean people because they didn't use water? 

We can see that was the practice during the time of Prophet muhammad (PBUH). Prophet muhammad (PBUH) asked people to use pebbles (stones) not water or toilet paper to clean their butt. and he stressed they must use odd number of stones not even number. Can we claim now that practice was ridiculous? Don't forget that instruction was from the messenger of allah himself.  Check out the following hadith.

https://sunnah.com/muslim/2/32

Jabir b. 'Abdullah reported that he heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) say:

When anyone wipes himself with pebbles (after answering the call of nature) he should do this odd number of times.
    Hadith - The Book of Purification - Sahih Muslim - Sunnah.com - Sayings and Teachings of Prophet M…
    Jabir b. 'Abdullah reported that he heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) say: When anyone wipes himself with pebbles (after answering the call of nature)…
    • Jonathan, saya setuju dengan anda juga! The argument comes when we use those tissues and we have water available for us during that time. I wasn't referring to tissues or stones as bad. As you said, the need comes according to the current situation. Using water is more purified and safe for that delicate place. Some studies proved that wiping with those tissues might leave some dirt unintentionally. That might lead to the infection of that area. We can suppose many things. 

Let say, we do not have water in the toilet, what shall we do? Of course, we use those papers to clean. I agree with Mr. Tawfeeq, the matter is different from one nation to the other. For your information, we use both methods in our country. That thing happened to me personally. I did use stones and toilet papers many times.  Thanks, Jonathan for sending me that link, and thanks for your comment.

• This is so interesting topic. Do you know, in Japan they have so modern toilet that can play music when you enter and then when you finish it have many selection mode to clean and dry automatically. Using water is not only cleaner than but also save resources.

• Xin chao Thuy tran! I agree with you Thuy. Using water is better and safer than using tissues or other means. By the way, in remote areas where there is no water or paper towels, people use stone for cleaning. Thanks, Thuy for your nice comment. 

• Lol My Friend Thuy Tran , In my country ,specially in  the public toilets,  there are  Cabaret Shows , Alive Music programs even you can order your drinks while you were having your relaxing !  hahahaha...

• Sei seirio Adriano? Lol! Thanks for your comment. 

• Water or towels neither of them is important matter. It is a very personal thing. People here come from different multicultural and places. So, every nation has its way to clean.
    The most amazing way is Andira's." I'm kidding"

This reply was deleted.