This question is similar to my previous discussion, but this is actually a way to know more about our different cultures and languages: Let's share our favorite names from different countries replying this:

What name would you like to have if you were from:

- Spain (or any other spanish language country)
- Germany
- France
- USA/UK/AU (or any other english language country)
- Russia
- Japan
- Turkey
- Egypt (or any other arabic language country)
- Italy
- Other country you like

Note to those who might take things too seriously: Just share the names you like from any of these countries/languages... no need to consider to change your name and nationality for real! :P XD

My choices:
Spain - Julia or Alba
Germany - Jenell or Ingrid
France - Ivette or Jolie
USA/UK/AU or any other english language country - Mary -- i'm already used to it :P
Russia - Masha :P
Japan - Hiyori or Setsuko
Turkey - Sanem
Egypt (or any other arabic language country) - Alima or Zaira
Italy - Giulia or Mariella :P
-Other country: Any Swahili language country - Aiysha or Nalah

Note: I've picked most of these names just because I like how they sound to my 'spanish ear'; and few others also because of its meaning.

----

Some links to help you to pick names, in case you don't know common names from other countries:

- Spanish names
- German names
- French names
- English names
- Russian names
- Japanese names
- Turkish names
- Arabic names
- Italian names

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

•  

Hi Mary

I Like these names:

Spain: Sofia

German: Monika

French: Rosette

English: Alice

Russian: Masha

Japonese: Aina

Turkish: Solmaz

Arabic: Zahra

Persian: Sima

• Oh, I like the name of Alice too :)

Nice ones. Thanks for sharing!

•  

Hi there...

As for the Arabic names:
    I have always liked (Sara and Jawahra) for females, (Jassem and Ibrahim) for males..

I'm not really familiar with Non.Arabic names, but there is this one name that always comes to my mind, not sure why (Jack) 

• I like Sara too. It's also a very common name in Spain.

About the name of 'Jawahra', do you pronounce the 'h' letter? if you do, I couldn't pronounce that name without choking :/

• Oi there, folks

As it was not stated whether the names should be female or male, I will take my whimsy liberty and choose a female and a male name for each country:

So; here we go -

Spain - Ines, Juan

Germany - Ingrid, Helmut

France - Ivone,  Louis

England - Patricia, Arthur

Russia - Tamara, Igor

Poland - Tadeusz, Bożena [the "ż" is prounced like "J" in the french word "jardin" ]

Japan -  Aiko. Katsuo

Turkey - Caria,  Emre

Arabic countries -  Fareeda, Ibrahim

Italy - Francesca, Giovani

• Hey Rys! It's super cool that you picked one of both genders! :)))

Btw, about the Poland names, Tadeusz is the male name and Bozena the female, right? Otherwise, Tadeusz for woman sounds weird to me :/

• i dont really know others country name... i need to google it first.. well it will takes time which is currently i am on drama watching mode... so its have to wait.. hehehe

for English or Russian or maybe German .. i like EZRA

for Japanese - MIKA

• Uhm nice... 'drama mode' is my thing too XD

95dcd86205f5abe7f4fca7d13188c4e2.gif?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Spain: Darío, Enrique, Fernando, Leo

German: Cornelius, Edgar

French: Fabien, Matthew

English: Tom

Russian: Mikhail

Italy: Angelo, Cassano 

There are some Japanese names that are similar to your name Mary such as Mari and Mariko. By the way, is Setsuko from the Japanese anime movie "Grave of the Fireflies"?

• Uhm yeah, Leo fits you as spanish name. It's as short and 'easy' as Tam :)

But from all these names, the best for you is Tom... obviously :D

Oh, that japanese anime is very nice, but no... it's because of the japanese actress Setsuko Hara :)  I've always been a movie lover, and when I was younger i  loved to watch super old movies (still I like, but I don't do it so often now) My favorite old japanese movies where the ones made by the film director Yasujirō Ozu (yeah, I know movie lovers usually go crazy with Akira Kurosawa movies. I like his movies too, but still I prefer Ozu) Anyway... Setsuko Hara was in many Ozu's movies that I like. She was a great actress and that's why I picked that name... See how movie-nerdy I am! :D

Setsuko Hara
      Setsuko Hara (原 節子, Hara Setsuko, June 17, 1920 – September 5, 2015) was a Japanese actress. In the West, she is best known for her performances in Y…
This reply was deleted.