Replies

• Well I have not found how to access the tape recorder page.

could you explain about!

Thank you!

Like you Grace I work on my own but i hope to step up my English fluency talking 

to someone of my level or beyond. that is better.

usually I talk to myself in English. don't laught at me. that's a good compromise to 

the lack of practice. I live in Thailand Ulugbek and overwhelmingly cannot speak English but tourists.

To get over one's fear to talk to others is a difficult test. At less to me! 

must give it a try a day anyway.Otherwise why to learn English.

If you explain to me where there is the tape recorder here I go for training

but to be aware about mistakes it is necessary to compare one's voice with 

proper diction. If not beware to the bad habits. What do you think about?

• Thats what I do the most time when I practise my english! ALWAYS ALONE LOL..
  • In my country people know grammar very well. but when they come to speaking, they feel difficult. I also feel misunderstanding other people when I'm speaking. I'm going to take an IELTS exam in 22nd of June. and I'm very concerned. can anyone give a suggest
  • Hello,

I apologize if I have offended (upset) or shocked you or others

leaving me overcome with passion. 

I did not want to criticize anyone, I swear!

This is not my purpose at all. Absolutely not! without any interest to improve.

Actually, I seized the perfect oportunity for more information upon this common mistake.

I confirmed my poor knowledge

and as for you one more thing you learnt.

you are getting quite a deal out of this. ( this benefits to you as much as to me ).

I like being criticized equally  because we progress by fault, not thanks to compliments.

Am I not right Tara? What about?

Upon practice, I also wished to share my feeling and my own experience!

Don't worry everybody, it comes naturally.

I have got a penfriend who told me about my American accent.

Actually, I watch  american series on my prefered chanels whence the logical result.

but no matter as I make myself understood.

The important thing is what is known as the

'comfortable intelligibility' remaining the main target you should aim. 

We are not native after all.

Don't forget Tara 

'comfortable intelligibility' is required talking to native speakers but nothing more.

It is already not so bad.

I'm confident despite my bad ear for music. Are you?

I am a mere man (member) and alone but enriched of lots of advice.

and great experiences.

Anyways this is a friendly forum of a nice English club.

thank you for your leniency and taking into account my feelings.

• Hi

I think Dufourmental is on the right track, although I think it unfair to criticise the grammar of the question albiet a little ambiguous.  We do not always need to grammar police to clarify the gist of a question or statement.

Some fortunate people can begin to imitate native speakers if they have the ability to listen correctly and analyse the stress of both word and sentence stress also intonation and implied meaning.  Unfortunately many people do not possess this ability and those that do try autonymous speaking do not have the 'ear' for the music of a language and can lead to misunderstanding where the wrong stress is placed.

I teach here in the UK and have a majority of Urdu, Hindi, Pashto, Kurdish and Punjabi speakers who come to the UK with some knowledge of English.  One  particular problem many have is giving and receiving personal information.  English question words; who, what, where, why, how, are always weak although in their first language it is quite strong and at the end of the question.  When English speakers ask. 'What is your name'.  The what is very weak, but if we do say it strong it sounds like we are being interogated.  Therefore should a Punjabi speaker ask that question with the wrong stress a native English speaker may feel intimidated or offended leading to a situation of mistaken intention.

This is where a sympathetic listener can help the learner correct and teach the nuances of a language.  One other area that needs mentioning is accepted levels of politeness that can be another cause of tension if the listener is not sympathetic to a second language speaker.

In conclusion I would say, yes you can learn to speak autonymously although you must be prepared for misunderstandings at first.  Politeness is essential and can overcome any errors you might make when communicating with native English speakers for the first time.

Mal James

• Dear Sir T Mal, 

I am from Nepal, South Asia. Could you please kindly recommend "the common mistakes in English by South Asian students" and the remedies. Thank you.

Sudeep

• Sudeep

It depends on the learners first language, how you were taught initially and so many other factors.  A book that goes into detail is Swanns Learner English. There is a whole chapter that covers such aspects  as grammar pronunciation, phonology and syntax

• Thank you very much. I look forward for your kind cooperation in the coming days.

• Hello,

Please, before answering and above all not to offend you but allow me a note :

(if ever I'm mistaken according fluent members, I ask you not to hold it against me.)

' It is possible to practise speaking English alone? '

is as far as I know an incorrect sentence. 

' Is it possible to practise English speaking alone? ' is correct.

' Is it possible to practise spoken English alone? is correct

' Is it  possible to practise English speaking alone to improve one's spoken English?

' is better '.  

then here is my own answer :

I often surf the net about this sort of topic so often treated.

Also, according my own experience, I feel able to answer.

I'll say 'yes' on the condition of watching/listening to the TV

videos and english speaking or fluents speakers. 

In my opinion whether for your native language or any foreign language 

to be listening is the very good way to learn.

For instance :

imitators of political personalities listen to audio videos recording

numerous hours a day in order to present perfect shows.

They permanently repeat and listen to themselves to compare with 

the original broadcastings.

They say that there are softwares to train oneself to do likewise.

Eventually,there is a downside when you talk to other speakers when your are beginner 

you kow.

Either you cannot understand speakers or you talk to them without being corrected

so you get tangled in your own errors unless your speaker agrees to correct you.

( that is why it's so difficult to find out the good partner

without having acquired a comfortable intelligibility pronunciation.

to conclude

I'll say to you 'yes'

you'll be able to improve talking to yourself. ( I often speak to myself in English and even my relatives laugh about, but actually no matter. I don't care. ) if you have time, motivation,

with a good way to work upon ' listen/spoken English'.

The main downside is that to speak to yourself you must first of all be abble 

to understand who/what you listen to perfectly.

( when my knowledge still wished I was blocking without knowing to tell to myself.)

I agonized about it but all things considered I am doing not so bad.

Why anybody would not be able to do likewise?!

Hoping to have responded effectively.

thank you for your attention and leniency.

'

This reply was deleted.