As reading is a good way to improve our English, I started to read with a group in MyEC with my friends. But the book that we are reading now, Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard David Bach, is having so many new vocabularies for me. I don’t know whether I go on reading this book or not since I face some difficulties.

My sister attended an English course at a Canadian center. Her teacher from England recommended that if we face more than 8 words in one page, we should leave this book and choose another one which is easier to comprehend. Is that right? And what if we face so many new words in one page, should we look for each word’s meaning in the dictionary? What is the best way to read and get the benefit to enrich our vocabulary?

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• How should reading a book, and learn new words.
  • Hi scoon, it's nice to see you, and in my opinion, its right that your sister's teacher said, thought there are so many complications exists with the words, so try to do step by step and make slow process in the beginning is good for all the learners.
  • Reading is an excellent way to learn and know new vocabulary words,it is also a way to use your imagination.It really helps you to increase your level in English ,orally and in writing, because you come across a lot of sentences and how they are used.This gives you an idea when speaking or even writing.

To your question dear skoon,I don't feel its right to leave the book.Instead continue reading it (let it be like a challenge to you) and whenever you come across a new word look around it (context clues) for simpler words that can give you an idea about it and by the time you finish a sentence or two you will definitely know what the word is all about. Reading is a good hobby and try a variety of books of different category like adventure , crime novels (which are full of suspense) , biography, romance and off course some children's books. You can't imagine what you can get from them ,very interesting

All the best and keep up reading.

Can I recommend some authors you might enjoy reading their books?

Imagination srl - graphic design, ideazione e realizzazione cataloghi, fotografia industriale e sti…
    Grande esperienza nella comunicazione e nel marketing, entusiasmo ed efficienza di una squadra di professionisti specializzati nei più diversi settor…
  • In my opinion, when you are reading a book or a text, do not worry about new words.  when you read, you should try to get then main idea of the book. after that try to remember some sentences which you love.

And then, read again if you want to learn more word. first you should try to predict the meaning of the word, if you can not do that you should use a dictionary - a good dictionary then.

on the other way, if you want to enrich your vocabulary you can learn by listening. when you are reading that mean you are put the vocabulary in to you head.

• I don't thing that it is a good advice.by reading difficult books,you can learn alot.you can understand the meaning  in general and a single word can't stop you.just keep reading and underline difficult words.when you finish you can look them up in the dictionary and understand their meaning.
  • I think this advice was not right for all beginner of English because all of them have poor vocabulary. But I believe that after 10 books they will get better to understand another books.

Now I sometime read the magazine " hot english magazine " If you want a one, you can download it free in the internet.

• in general we read what appeals to our need ,and the book has to be not so difficult to understand.for the book you are reading i think you have to strive to finish it by hook .when you finish you ll be so happy to discuss it with your group .try to get the general idea .and do not overuse the dictioonary

good luck

• i think when i face more than 8 words i can't understand the meaning i search on dictionary to know not leave it because may be i can face the same problem with other books or movies
  • We should read an English Book first by focusing on the interest in a such content.And for instances you met with difficult words to comprehend,don't skip instead use dictionary thus will be a good chance advancing new vocabularies.

In other hand I agree with your sister English Teacher that ,the choice of books which are easier to comprehend is the best way to read an English Book.As I know reading is just like a conversation between a writers and a reader/you,so the easier you comprehend the more you are motivated to read.

All the best on your readings. 

• It is difficult to build a strong vocabulary by reading English literature. So many words are used is various contexts. The only way to build a vocabulary is through repetition - the same way we learned our original language. So I suggest you read an online newspaper. Preferably an article that interests you. An article once a day will build a strong vocabulary because the words are often repeated.
This reply was deleted.