• How often and how much do you read in English?
• How do you choose texts/books for reading?
• Share what you gain from reading? Probably you have some really efficient methods to make it rewarding.
• If you feel have some problems with reading, again, share them and perhaps we can solve it together.

Any experience/advice will be appreciated.

A couple of words about how I read. I try to read in English daily. Mostly I read blogs.

I check out blogs of my MyEC friends almost everyday (via RSS, so it's not that difficult). Also I visit the main blog page on MyEC from time to time and read blogs when the beginning made me attracted. Besides, I read some blogs written by native speakers (I do it sporadically) and these days I am reading The Polyglot Project, which was written by people with different backgrounds (some of them also were natives of English).

The main thing in all this is following.

How do you pick up correct patterns of the language (phrases, idioms, styles of speech)?

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

•  

Hi Oksana

To be honest with you I don’t read much because I don’t have enough time but when I have I read an interesting story.i think we should choose reading what we like to read in our own language for example I don’t like to read news in my own language so I cant start reading  it in English language.  First I try to get the main idea and ignore some difficult words that are not essential to understanding the meaning or try to guess them through the context.

I always remember this rule

If you want to improve your writing skills, you have to read more and more

If you want to improve your speaking skills, you have to listen

• Hi Asma,

My passion for English includes everything. So if you don't mind I will remember both the rules. ;)

I also like guessing the words from the context. That's really wonderful when you understand things which you never knew, isn't it?

• Hi Oksana

Thanks for your topic and comment.

have a nice time

• Hi chynna see,

Indeed, English is very important in business and education. I noticed that learning of any other language  becomes much easier if you understand English. Simply, it is much easier to find high-quality teaching material in English (or at least in very spread) language. For me, this is another reason and a way to use English, in particular to read in it.

•  

Hi Marcos! Hi all!

Firstly, thank you, Marcos, for your participation in this discussion. Also I was pleasantly surprised when I saw your way to make a response. I mean that you answered by voice. Your accent is just great and absolutely intelligible! :)

I agree with you, Marcos, that reading along with listening is really efficient.
      This is the reason why many websites provide such material for learners.

Besides using the same way as you do, I also try other ways to improve my vocabulary.

For example, lately when I find a piece of reading interesting for me, I use a voice generator from the special website - http://imtranslator.net/translate-and-speak/ or I just read the thing out loud on my own.

Thanks all for listening, especially you, Marcos! Have a nice day, buddies!

• This reply was deleted.
    • Thanks, Paula, for your comment.

Reading out loud helps me to get more concentrated on what I am reading in a foreign language. Also you are right, it helps to recognize better unfamiliar patterns of the language (sometimes it happens when I am not sure where the preposition is going to be stuck, to the next word or to the previous). In such cases I need to read the phrase in different ways and choose what makes sence. :)

Although I adore reading out loud in my own language, I am more concentrated when I read silently.

• I agree with you, Thang. Reading out loud is a great solution when you have few opportunities to speak. Also reading gives you great passive vocabulary.

I wish you success in practicing English. :)

• Hi Thang,

Sometimes circumstances move us to improve English more than we expected. :)

If I have time when I read more than speak, I try to read out loud, at least something of that reading.

Do you have opportunities to speak English at work? What do you think about reading out loud? I mean just reading of particular things, not everything, of course.

• i need to practse my english can u help me?

This reply was deleted.