How much should we learn about Grammar?

I want to ask about this question: How much should we learn about Grammar? Since it has many subjects to learn about and sometimes it makes beginners feel overwhelmed and desperate in which part they should start to learn grammar. Tenses, parts of speech, etc. Can anyone make a list contains which parts of Grammar that beginners should really understand? 

For example, Is it important for a beginner to really understand parts of speech? 

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have written on  this earlier ..Well>> as a teacher, with over 22 years experience

teaching English Language and Literature too ,I can definitely say , we need not teach grammar"""grammar""   in isolation as a separate lesson NEVER????YES, never. i teach grammar through   the text i use i reading comprehension., I give the grammar through this  in small doses during the lesson...   We never learn the grammar in   our native  language   this way??SO create such an  environment  to the learner..    Simple.. I get the learners talking grammatical English within 50  hours of evenly spaced out lessons. I was taught grammar in isolation, at school, about 50 years ago.SO it is the approach   is  long dead and ineffective.  

• This reply was deleted.
    • Hello Doug,

I partiallave but as chiy agree with you, in fact I'm sure the first approach to any language should be the one children have but as children do growing I think after a while we should also learn grammar. Plus to learn to speak proper english we should mind whom we are listening to ... 

Bye for now Viv

• And how exactly are you going to achieve that level of confident communication without learning anything about grammar? 

• portion you need to learn to speak English in short time period is as follows:

1.Tenses

2.Modals

3.Articles

4.Prepositions

• Had you  read the comments made by native teachers of English You will see

what i   mean/.BUT before i go any further please drop this ""sir""form of

address,It makes me feel real uncomfortable . YOU are a teacher,I  am a

teacher ??SO   we are equal in status O K ???NOW   back to square one.

Let us talks as equals from here on wards,I can write to your e mail in case ,ELSE Can i give my e mail??

you are in such a frame  of mind??I was there in Bodh-gaya and Varanasi in

March last year.  It was a  pilgrimage with my 2 sisters and a brother.Have you been outside  India. have  been  in Europe .etc>> 

AND IF you say the learners get to grips with the language in a short while you are 

successful..This is education to me?  SO that is it??what  matters  is the success.   I do it with minimal reference     to grammar and you have  another approach.. Both are o k 

• without grammar a person can't speak English correctly,always he will be confused that how and where to apply helping verbs and modals,so grammar counts a lot in speaking english

• YES  HImanshi,,,,,,,,,,You are correct and it is a fact ??The knowledge in grammar decides.

STILL , as per my experience , there is NO need for special emphasis on teaching grammar

as  an independent unit ... I have been  teaching English for over 22 years an i teach Literature too/   I,at   times, start  from the basic ,and then graduate to literature in about 9 / 11

months of 8 hour  per month lessons .I introduce grammar as  the lesson proceeds

and     the learners seldom feel   they  are learning grammar.   

SO my conclusion    is that   grammar  need NOT be stressed on much..     

• sorry sir,i totally disagree,coz I have came to know from students that they are commiting many mistakes,if they learn basics,then they are able to speak English fluently,and after clearing basics they gave their opinion that they are learning very fast other wise without grammar its a long process,so I go for basics first

• YES  NiMANSHI.,     you are correct in your own way as it is based on your

experience and exposure.,WELL>I teach the British ((o l )syllabus and literature too ALL my   students get B s and C s   and a few A s too I had never taken grammar  as a separate unit in the past 20 years or more/STILL I never ever had any failures or  distress calls from the learners.  ALL are  quite at home in my lessons and they enjoy it much... SO your opinion is correct taken in your context and environment you re in ..Even the British team  of experts who managed English Teaching ,in the Sultanate of Oman ,where i taught for 5 years ,never had incorporated   any grammar  lesson   --separate -in their books . 

• may be sir,I have been teaching grammar to confirm in basics,they learn to speak in English within short period of time,At first I Tenses and then modals,articles,prepositions,then I go for paragraphs,story telling,topic telling,audio video classes,chain story telling,pair conversation,group discussion........much much more

Thank You

This reply was deleted.