How much should we learn about Grammar?

I want to ask about this question: How much should we learn about Grammar? Since it has many subjects to learn about and sometimes it makes beginners feel overwhelmed and desperate in which part they should start to learn grammar. Tenses, parts of speech, etc. Can anyone make a list contains which parts of Grammar that beginners should really understand? 

For example, Is it important for a beginner to really understand parts of speech? 

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That 's right Luciano Correct./. ?IT is not precisely necessary to learn grammar as  

separate unit in a lesson?? the teacher can  give it in doses during the

lesson and with occasional explanations  but very infrequent/  SO YOUR

MUM is a graphic example///   WELL  the learners environment too can

be created to easy the learning process.

• This reply was deleted.
    • I have been stressing on the fact  that a special  emphasis on grammar

as a seperate item in the lesson  is NOT necessary??

BUT Ironically all the replies to my statem  ent seems to have no

effect here .All feel teaching   grammar   is important

SO I give up here??it is what I do as a teacher and if none

undestands, it is NOT my  fault??sorry to say this????????

• THANKS  

BUT I     DO not need   any grammar books as i am a teacher with over 25 years experience and i have dropped using grammar books \or grammar as a lesson--separate-- in may pf my lessons long ago >>MAY BE  about 20 years ago.. I teach a lesson and the grammar  goes to  learners  automatically ..,Then I give little  explanation in grammar ??SO no BOOKS ARE NECESSARY,, no

• If we observe HOW we learnt our native language , we get a clear idea of

learning a Language(((English   is one)))   ??SO just apply the experience

YOU have had??listen speak but with guidance from a professional perhaps

Even  the parents  can help if they are  armed with the necessary knowledge

There is NOTHING called the sentence structure , grammar, tenses etc as  

an airtight compartment ans separate NO???I talk through 25 years experience

• So the question could be, "Should I spend my time learning English grammar or learning to speak English?"

In trying to learn Arabic the same question has come up for me.

If I can speak I can communicate. If I make mistakes when speaking people will be happy to help and correct me.

If I study grammar only, it will be too long before I can communicate. 

If you want to take the grammar first approach so you make no mistakes when speaking, you should be very young because it will be a long time before you can speak perfectly.

• I am agree with your points Mr.Bob.I am 48 years old and working on the ship .I would like to speak and writing in English.so can I speak and write English  without grammar .Give me suggestion, what I do?

英语网|english.so|英语网.cn
      欢迎访问英语网,英语网.cn,网址:http://www.english.so
    • Hello Mr. Bob

I read your comments and I do agree with certain points in your comments. We learn languages because we want to be able to use it to communicate. And some cases, it means communicate orally. 

I won't argue that we don't need to know grammar that much in order to improve our speaking, but I already asked it in other discussion long time ago. And I think we all are agree if a person write English in the same way he speaks English, it won't be appropriate.

I think I should rewrite the question. Let's say you are an English teacher and someone comes to you, saying that he has been improving his English speaking skill. But, he is not sure that he can write basic English properly and needs to learn English grammar. And he is confused, since it seems there are many subjects about English grammar that he should learn. I'm talking about modal, tenses, parts of speech, gerund, conditional sentences, etc. So, where should he start? How many subjects about grammar he needs to learn to gain basic level so he can write properly? 

He also says that he only has limited times to learn grammar (let's say 3-6 months). So, what will you tell him? 

• there are a lot of grammar books for beginners for example : oxford grammar in use

• As one writer observed "grammar books" are useful  as reference of what has been taught   and ""learned   as well""in advance .  IF a beginner resorts to this method --by him / herself-it will be a Herculean task he will be  grappling with  and take a very long time for him/ her to take the reins into his / her hands .    STILL it will be stumbling block most of the time??I never have used a grammar book ,nor have i recommended them to any student for the last 20 years ???STILL  all have got grades far above 80 % \marks at public exams ???SO I feel i prove my point???

• These labels,  ""parts of speech"", Gerund.  active  / passive voice etc are not necessary to be talked of when teaching  English/   

ALL we need is  to get  the learner understand the grammar as it comes in the lesson..never in isolation as  a separate item???If you go back and tread native  speaker responding,, we will get the point  he  made was that even the native speakers do NOT know the grammar rules but they speak the language correctly .and so do we in all countries with  our native   languages.  

SO the basics are clear.   This is my final stand

This reply was deleted.