How much should we learn about Grammar?

I want to ask about this question: How much should we learn about Grammar? Since it has many subjects to learn about and sometimes it makes beginners feel overwhelmed and desperate in which part they should start to learn grammar. Tenses, parts of speech, etc. Can anyone make a list contains which parts of Grammar that beginners should really understand? 

For example, Is it important for a beginner to really understand parts of speech? 

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi,

Thanks for all members who gave their opinions here. I appreciate all of them. Sorry, I cannot reply each comment.

• This reply was deleted.
    • according to my opinion if you get clear in grammar then it takes a short time period of time to talk English fluently,please try it,it works great,coz I have taught dummies by teaching them grammar

• Hello Ario. In our schoo,l we learn about simple  vocabulary and the phonetics first...we start to learn  grammar when we are in standard 3...

• writing correctly is the last and professional section of learning English. in earlier levels it is not important to write grammatically .every one should promote input skills then will be able to speak and write .at intermediate levels can write compositions and hand it to be corrected by his or her teacher  

• if we want to talk like a native speaker or understand them we should learn all grammars atleast more than half of them .

but for a beginer i recommend first try to learn tenses because each sentece certainly has a verb and then  try to learn others step by step.

• hi

about grammar i must say i myself have never tried to study grammars maybe sometime which i faced with a structure which i couldn't understand.in adding i must say that i try to hear the name of grammars but i never had a deep study on grammars and never worked on their practices.i am learning grammars by reading different text , listening to podcasts and watching movies.i say again i learn the name of grammars not to study them.for example tenses:i learn that we have present tense and then when i am reading or watching try to find out that tense ,i never do practices for present

• Hello ario, should beginners learn grammar? I think the answer is yes but following methods that are not only given rules to learn by heart. Usually beginners start using very simple sentences, shorts one where it's easy to describe wich is the subject, verb, and object. Also the tenses are, at the beginning, the basilar ones(present, past, future). Grammar should go along with reading, speaking, understanding ability. It won't be that boring this way. 

• This reply was deleted.
    • Thanks for your reply, Mark. The answers really help.

• i can tell u the thing which u should know to speak english well not only they are grammar but also  the structure of sentences u should know about it .

1. modals(should ,can may might ought to etc.)

2. preposition(in, at,under,through,by )

3.tenses(all 10-12)

4.non finite ,gerund.

5.how to make sentence on imaginative thing.

6.how to tell those thing which keep on, kept on, will keep on going.

7.passive 

8.speeches

note: must make the examples and fill ups to improve your grammar

by the way one thing u should keep in your mind by knowing grammar u can speak fluently english .

with these u will have to speak, watch,listen as well.

thank u 

• PRECISE  and   EXACT-== Nitin.., You are correct ., i agree wi  you??

STILL    I   have been teaching for over  30 yrs  and 5 years in the Sultanate

of   Oman . THEN the last 12 years I was teaching Literature after i bring the

learner to the   standard I   want for this???  ALL these learners have super

command of Englsih and  they make NO misteke in sentence structure or

grammar.though i never taught ""grammar""' as a separated item in

ANY lesson ""NEVER """but touched on them as  they  came in the lesson.,                               Even with IELTS students    I had   the same lesson plan//   SO this is my approach        

This reply was deleted.