Everyone know there are 365 days in a year, right? Wrong! To be exact, there are 365.24219 days per year. But we can't have a day that's just over 5 hours 48 minutes, so long time ago "they" decided to slip in an "intercalary" day every four years (sort of). So that gave us a leap year every four years. And today is a leap day.

If it's your birthday today, let me wish you four extra special Happy Birthdays :)

How are you spending your leap day?

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• WoW! Congratulations, Mr Joseph! :)

Josef Essberger said:

My first granddaughter was born yesterday 29th February, after I wrote the post. It must be a very lucky omen :)
    How are you spending your FREE day today - 29th February?
    Everyone know there are 365 days in a year, right? Wrong! To be exact, there are 365.24219 days per year. But we can't have a day that's just over 5…
  • CONGRATULATIONS Joseph! That's wonderful news! A very special day for you now!

MARY said:

Woah!! How cool is that!!! :D

I'm sure she'll be a very special girl then :)

CONGRATS! :) 

2692032-7643749224-appla.gif?width=250

Josef Essberger said:

My first granddaughter was born yesterday 29th February, after I wrote the post. It must be a very lucky omen :)
    Everyone know there are 365 days in a year, right? Wrong! To be exact, there are 365.24219 days per year. But we can't have a day that's just over 5…
  • Thank you Elen. I think 28 Feb is a good idea. Or every four years - Forever Young

Elen said:

Congratulations Mr. Josef!! I wish her a beautiful and healthy life!! In my country we have this saying: My child's child is two times my child :) It express the special love who have the grandparents for their grandchildren, double than the love who have for their children and the special bond that they have with them. So now are you going to celebrate her birthday every 4 years? :D :D I think every 28 of February it would be nice :)

As for me, it was an ordinary day, i went to work and then i spend time in home. Nothing special happened :)

• Thanks Mary!

MARY said:

Woah!! How cool is that!!! :D

Josef Essberger said:

• Oh!! What a beautiful folk story, I love it!! 
    I knew about Baba Yaga, but not about Baba Marta. I LOVE this kind of popular tales :)

Thanks for sharing this cool tradition!

Jonathan R P Taylor said:

Having a wonderful day in the garden today preparing for Baba marta tomorrow.

Baba Marta is the oldest nationally celebrated pagan festival in Europe. In the Balkan region we wear red and white wrist bands, these we give as gifts to friends and loved ones. Baba Marta (Grandmother March) is a grumpy old woman who controls the destiny of spring. If she is happy the sunshine will arrive and the crops will soon grow, if she is angry the ice will remain and the crops will fail....

We wear the wrist bands until we see our first stalk arrive home to breed in flight; we then tie them to blooming fruit trees to celebrate!

• Your remark reminds me of a funny story. One of my cousins was born in leap year. He is an evil incarnate! Whenever my aunt wants to threaten him she says, "Sorry, hon. No birthday party for you this year. Four years from now, there's gonna be a lota candles on your b-day cake." It works like a charm. That devil spawn will turn into a sweet little angel, at least for a day or two.

Congratulations on becoming a grandpa, by the way.
  • Hello Jonathan, we also have similar custom. We make bracelet from red and white thread and we call it March. We wear it a day before 1st March and for the whole month, because it protect us from the first sun of spring which is harmful and can "burn" us. In 1st April, or any day after this, we wait to see the swallows and when we see them we remove it from our hand and we put it in the branches of the trees so to come the swallows and take it. This custom is mainly for children but adults do it too.

Jonathan R P Taylor said:

Having a wonderful day in the garden today preparing for Baba marta tomorrow.

Baba Marta is the oldest nationally celebrated pagan festival in Europe. In the Balkan region we wear red and white wrist bands, these we give as gifts to friends and loved ones. Baba Marta (Grandmother March) is a grumpy old woman who controls the destiny of spring. If she is happy the sunshine will arrive and the crops will soon grow, if she is angry the ice will remain and the crops will fail....

We wear the wrist bands until we see our first stalk arrive home to breed in flight; we then tie them to blooming fruit trees to celebrate!

• Congratulations Mr. Josef!! I wish her a beautiful and healthy life!! In my country we have this saying: My child's child is two times my child :) It express the special love who have the grandparents for their grandchildren, double than the love who have for their children and the special bond that they have with them. So now are you going to celebrate her birthday every 4 years? :D :D I think every 28 of February it would be nice :)

As for me, it was an ordinary day, i went to work and then i spend time in home. Nothing special happened :)

• Woah!! How cool is that!!! :D

Josef Essberger said:

• My first granddaughter was born yesterday 29th February, after I wrote the post. It must be a very lucky omen :)
This reply was deleted.