Head scratching

Why do we scratch our heads when we are confused or perplexed? Some people scratch the side of their noses. In class, when a student is asked about a question and he does not know the answer he begins to scratch his head. We do the same in difficult situations or difficult puzzles. Why do we do it? The brain is up there. Do we ask it to give us the answer or help us with that gesture?    

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Shagatum Bet! Maybe it is. Thanks for this comment and your previous comments on this topic. 

• Tamam ya Majed Alsolmi! Yes, your guessing is not far from the fact. For your term spontaneous, Mr. Said Almogrbe used involuntary gesture Thanks, Majed for your comment.

• Maybe it is a quirk!

•  Well, to the best of may knowledge, i guess it is a spontaneous action that is done to stay focused and in control.

• Aap dur nahi giya, White Knight! You are not so far from the main point. By the way, that first phrase, is it correct for, you are not far? Confusion and perplexity are there. As Mr. Said Almogrbe stated before, it is an involuntary gesture. I also want to add this, congratulation, you have a new handsome leader who wants to make many changes in your beloved country. Thanks for your logical opinion. 

• Gracias seniora Alejandra! I really wish to see those gestures you make when you want to express something. Women are good at gestures. Yesterday, our boss came here and said the same. He said that it was a message to the brain to give it more blood to wake it up. Do our brains sleep? Lol! Our boss is correct about it. I noticed that most members agreed to that. You are another guy to combine your suggestion to them. Thanks, Al. for this nice intervention. I really like it.

• My opinion is that , we scratch our heads in confusion because its kinda gesture of distraction from the problem for a moment and enables us to concentrate more on the point we are stuck at.

•   I think we scrath our heads when we are confused because we refer our brain to find the answer. We use some part of our body  when we refer something, for example, when we want demonstrated that we really sorry about something, we put our hand over the heart, when we refer something that really disgust us, our faces changes with a gesture as if something smell bad, our mouth and nose put togheter and we move our head saying NO.

We comunication with others not just with words, our body also speaks.

• Ladies and gentlemen, I guess we are all set. According to the most of the members' comments before and now Mr. Josef added his voice to them. When we refer to logic and common sense everything can be acceptable. I noticed the cat, and the dog, scratching their necks. Thanks, Mr. Esseberger for your comment.

• A kind of massage to bring blood to the head and wake it up?? Who knows? Do other animals do the same?

This reply was deleted.