Has taken or took

Hi everybody 

Where's my wallet? It was on the table. Somebody has taken it.

Where's my wallet? It was on the table. Somebody took it.

what is the difference btween them in the meaning?

Which is more correct grammatically?

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks Nafis
  • Thanks Josef, I learned something here...
  • Hello. Regarding to your question, the second sentence is more appropriate. The action was and took happened entirely in the past. The first sentence could be correct if you want the action still occurring in the present. The words "has taken" in the first sentence means that the action is happened in the past but still occurring at the present. That's why it is referred as the present perfect tense.

Thank you Nafis for the great explanation. I'm sure a lot of members are delighted to hear your response.

• The explanation given by Nafis is indeed excellent.

Please also note that there is some difference in usage between British English (which favours the present perfect) and American English (which favours the past simple). Nafis's explanation applies particularly to British English. So for the example given...

Where's my wallet? It was on the table. Somebody has taken it. <--- typically British English

Where's my wallet? It was on the table. Somebody took it. <--- typically American English

• thank you

• It depends on the situation, if you have the context, you will not have any difficulties to choose the right tense.
  • Very well explained Nafis ,and am sure with Ravi's examples its all too simple.

Present perfect  = still in the present = now  

past  =  over and done with = chapter close

hope this will help , all the best

• Thanks a lot.
  • Dear Karenina, you are more than welcome. I'm glad it was helpful. I have problem explaining things sometimes. That's why I was doubtful if it's clrear or not.
  • Dear nooon, Peresnt perfect (has taken) indicates to the situation that has happened in the past and the consequences is still at the present time. When it says somebody has taken it, it means that the person is still looking for his wallet and the wallet hasn't been found.

However, in the second sentence, somebody took it. The verb is past and therefore, the action happend and finished. It means that somebody granted it and this was in the past.

Gramatically, both are right but according to what the situation is you can use them. If you are still looking for the wallet, you can use present perfect. But, if the action happened and finished, you can use past tense.

I hope this helps. Good luck,

Nafis

This reply was deleted.