For idiomholics like Peony

an old blog post

https://www.myenglishclub.com/blogs/a-story-full-of-idioms-would-you-like-to-try-finding-them

since blogs are sorted based on Chronology or popularity, it is easier to post a link here for people who like idioms.  I haven't read it top to bottom yet but am sharing for those who are interested.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I rarely use idioms.

El Monte Custom Cabinets - El Monte, CA
    El Monte Custom Cabinets in El Monte, reviews by real people. Yelp is a fun and easy way to find, recommend and talk about what’s great and not so gr…
  • This reply was deleted.
    • Don't go trying to incite - it isn't called for and doesn't serve anyone well.

You can learn idioms or not as you please but if you want to understand English at it's fullest you will have to learn idiomatic expressions as you come across them.  There are over 750 Phrasal Verbs for example.  Phrasal Verbs are idioms.  American speakers use a lot of similes, metaphors and idioms in both speach and writing. 

• No.  Native English speakers don't usually stop to separate people into people who understand idioms and those who don't.  Teachers who teach speakers of other languages will usually be aware but most people simply speak as they would any other time.  And writers certainly do not try to avoid expressions.

As a TESOL instructor, I would avoid using expressions with lower level students and purposely use them with higher.  Learning a language means learning how the native speakers use the language. I have no idea about your native language but every language I have experience learning even a little employs idioms and other native expressions that one needs to learn on their path to fluency.

• This reply was deleted.
    • No this was intentional BUT I once counted idioms while a friend of mine was speaking and I think he used over 20 in about 20 minutes.

This reply was deleted.