Eating food has its rules and etiquette. We must abide by those rules, not only to appear in a suitable social way, but to avoid bothering others by the noise and the scenes that might cause their disgust. For instance, how do we eat pizza if it is mixed with plenty of sauce? Do we have to use our hands or a fork and a knife? What about fish?

Take the soup as an appetizer, how can we use spoons to have it? Do I have to bend myself towards the plate or raise the spoon high? Raising the spoon high to the level of my mouth can cause drops of the soup on my cloth or on the table. What about that sound occurring while using the spoon to drink or swallow the soup? Some people make a noise while having their appetizers. Is that acceptable?

Let’s go to desserts: For ice cream, is there any proper way to eat or rather lick it? For semi liquid confectionery, do we have to take it by the hand or by the spoons? There are different types of food. If the members remember others, please, be kind to show us. So that we can have an idea about the best ways and behaviors to have our food in a decent way.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 'When in Rome, do as Romans do'

• Muchas gravitas Estanis! When are in Rome, do what they do. Thanks for your comment on.

• This reply was deleted.
    • Donnobad Razib bai! Using the right hand when eating is better than the left one. There are exceptional cases. If the person is a left handed person, or if something happened to the right hand. Some families pray before eating to  thank The Almighty. Thanks Razib for your nice comment.

• I think it also depends on each culture. Some people think that making a sound when you eat is rude but in some country, it shows that you are enjoying the food. In my country, children are taught that don't talk during the meal but some other places are the opposite.

• Cam on new, Thuy Tran! It is good to teach our children how to eat in a polite way. As you said, culture controls these rules and etiquette.  When Mr. Tam brought me that link, I knew that nations of different countries use different kinds of styles when eating. Thanks, Thuy for your nice comment.

• Actually, it is depending on the place you eat in. The majority people here follow etiquette and rules of eating when they eat in special invitations or excellent restaurants. They do not use their hand. They are very keen to be calm.    

When we eat in our homes the case is different. We are free to suck soup noisily, use our hand to cut bread and chicken.

Food and drinks are blessing gift of God, we should eat with enjoyment. Appling artificial etiquette in eating disturbs the enjoyment of eating .

Generally, when we eat say" in the name of God."

When we finish say "Thank God".

Thank you dara.   

• Bus ya Tawfeeq, aish loan? Mr. Tawfeeq,  why do we do that? I mean when we are invited to a party or when we are  in luxury restaurants. As you mentioned, food is offered to us by God. We should be grateful and thank Him for that. In the presence of the chief, the director, in big high restaurants, inside our houses,

whatever, we  have to eat politely. Thanks, Mr. Tawfeeq  for your nice comment .

• Hey ! You .....Did you grow up in the Buckingham Palace  ?....Do not forget your ancestors , they were eating via their hands !!...Also their ancestors , were not using their hands but only  their own mouths with their noses...!!!...Eat What did you see from  your fathers  ....

• Grazie Adriano! It is chain fathers, grandfathers, and their great grandfathers. Thanks for your nice comment. 

• We should not forget our good parenting, Adriano. It is not kind to say "Hey! You..."

By the way, whom did you mean?  Who is Hey! You?

Speaking about eating with or without cutlery or what is etiquette, always depends on how people use to eat in different cultures. We should not generalize or even demand people should follow our own etiquette or rules. 

This reply was deleted.