Eating food has its rules and etiquette. We must abide by those rules, not only to appear in a suitable social way, but to avoid bothering others by the noise and the scenes that might cause their disgust. For instance, how do we eat pizza if it is mixed with plenty of sauce? Do we have to use our hands or a fork and a knife? What about fish?

Take the soup as an appetizer, how can we use spoons to have it? Do I have to bend myself towards the plate or raise the spoon high? Raising the spoon high to the level of my mouth can cause drops of the soup on my cloth or on the table. What about that sound occurring while using the spoon to drink or swallow the soup? Some people make a noise while having their appetizers. Is that acceptable?

Let’s go to desserts: For ice cream, is there any proper way to eat or rather lick it? For semi liquid confectionery, do we have to take it by the hand or by the spoons? There are different types of food. If the members remember others, please, be kind to show us. So that we can have an idea about the best ways and behaviors to have our food in a decent way.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Jienki Mr. Rysperski! Many people use their hands when eating instead of knives and forks, or the spoon. Sitting at the table for lunch or dinner is a unique time. Sounds are not allowed.  Thanks, Rystperski.

• Oi, Dara, sadiqi, I also like to use my hands while eating, if the situation allows such manners...actually I started to like eating with my hands from my stay in the so called Orient states...even my kids copy-cat my manners when they are allowed to do it..including the accompanying sounds of enjoying the meal.

• Eating is part of our life style, the manners of eating are an essential part of morale and character of peorsone, I think the etiquette and rules of eating depend on the culture  of each country.For example in Morocco we eat generally with hand

• Alash ana ka nabgi Almagreeb bizzaf ya Idriss? Of course, each nation has its own culture or habits. Most people use the fork and knife. In other parts, they prefer the spoon. I am not sure about this, but using the hand while eating gives me the assurance that I have really got my share from that plate. I mean, grabbing the leg of the chicken and eating it and holding it by the hand firmly.

To my humble understanding, nothing will fall or drop from that leg. Idriss, look at the Chinese, or Japanese or the other people in Asia who use those sticks. Believe me, first of all, I do not know how to use them. If I happen to learn how to use them, I am sure, I won't get fed up. It is just a hunch or I do not know how to say it. Thanks, Idriss for your nice comment on the topic.

• Arigatu Tam! I have watched that video. Eating noodles by the Japanese way is unique, but let's  suppose that lady was a man. In my opinion, the female touch is different from us.              Besides, don't  forget that you are smart and intelligent people. I thought that making  a noise while sipping or sucking a liquid is impolite. Thanks, Tam for that link and for the information too.

• Hi, Dara. Do you know that when Japanese people eat noodles, they make a noise and it is not a breach of manners in Japan? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-mnN5RwI0Q

This reply was deleted.