Do you like using emoji, emoticons, acronyms, abbreviations, shortcuts ...  in chatting with online friends regularly on forums, social networks, emails... and why?

Which one you like or dislike most? Which one is the most frequently used?

And do you think how they affect on traditional language?

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Exactly, Deepa, using emoticons is the best way to show our feeling while chatting with friends online, that's why it's called emotion icons :) Thanks for a meaningful comment.

• Hi blessing, it's a good idea. I have a friend who is much older than me and I frequently chat with him, mostly I never use any shortcuts or emoticons except for smileys, but once as we were talking about funny stories, I forgot and put :P there, then felt so ashamed... Thank you for a valuable comment.

• This reply was deleted.
    • I agree with you to a certain extent, spr. Nice to know that we are compatriots. Have a good time here :)

• Aw, I'm one of those people :( so could you please tell me what 'w' , >> ... stand for? Btw I think you must be a creative person. Thanks for leaving comment here.

• Wow, it sounds attractive and imaginative.  I have not watched anime much, but I know what it is. Thanks for your reply.

• becoz it's very efficient for me

• Glad to know it.  Thanks for sharing:)

• Im so silly in tech things. But I suppose it's not too difficult to download more emoji or emoticons from internet as you like. Am I right, dear?

• Hi,

I regularly use emoji and stickers in chatting with my friends, even in online business meetings. Some people might think that this isn't appropriate in a serious conversation like a business talk. However, I have never got a problem through the use of them. I just use them to help express my emotion.

I am a Japanese speaker. Japanese has changed and developed itself over centuries absorbing other languages like Chinese, English and so on. It is no wonder that emoji would be widely accepted as new characters.

• There is no difference between them, I think. Emoji comes from 'e' and 'moji', that is, 'picture characters' in Japanese. We Japanese just say 'emoji', never say 'emoticon', of which most of Japanese don't know the meaning...
This reply was deleted.