Replies

• Dear Alexandra,

If you want to ask the question separately, they both are right. You can say: Do you study? Do you send messages?

But, if you use "Or" between two verbs, the rule is both side of "Or" should be the same. For example, in your sentence, if you use "Study" without using "To", you have to use "Send" on the other side without using "to" as well. So, the sentence will be," Do you study or send messages? We do not need to use Do again.

Good luck,

• Thanks!!.. Your answer really help me!!... Grammar is  my weak side... Thanks again!
    • You are very welcome.
  • I'm confused too, Alexandra.

I'm not sure what you're talking about.

• Sorry... I've not been clear... You're right!... I need to do a power point presentation, and I have to talk about students' values... I took some photos about what students usually do, and most of the time, the students are chatting instead of studying... So, I ask them in my presentation.... Do you prefer to study or do you prefer to send messages??... but I don't know what is the correct form to express my question... I don't know how to ask...
    • Yes!!.. You don't know how much it really helped me!!

• Ahh...I got ya now.  I don't think there is a problem with your question as far as grammar is concern.

But I would like to give an opinion.  If the issue is that rather than studying, students are just chatting with each other...this is how I would say it: Did you come to school to study or to chat?  (Something to that effect.)

If I were a student and you ask me the question: Do you prefer to study or do you prefer to send messages (chatting/texting)?  If I would answer truthfully, I would say: I prefer to chat with my friends rather than read texbooks.  I hate homework, projects, presentations, etc.  I'd rather have fun with my friends than study.

Obviously, students come to school to learn but not everyone enjoys learning.  Some of them were probably just forced to come to class.  Therefore, asking them what they prefer to do is like giving them an option what they would rather do and that it's alright.  But if you ask them what is their purpose for coming to class, it's like making a point that not listening or not participating in the class isn't an option.

• Ok..!!.. That's true!!... I was confused about grammar, but I know what you mean... I'll follow you opinion with my power point presentation, and during the class too!!.. Thanks a lot!! :)
    • Good luck to your presentation, Alex.
    • Thanks Ohnie!!! :)
This reply was deleted.