can we find true friend online?

last year i made lots of "friends" online, both on ec and other websites. they are from Algeria, Brazil, Canada,Columbia, England, Germany, Italy,India, Japan, Morocco, Peru, United States, Vietnam, Sudan, Slovenia, ......thank you all, i am happy and honored to "meet" you online. 

but i am wondering who are my true friends. He used to treat me like me elder brother do, and now he is busy with his study again so he leave me alone for a "long" time. but i understand his situation and i am grateful for his kindness that he always gave to me. though we haven't chat for a while, when i think of him, i will still smile for our nice chat in the past.

as for some other online friends, when he/she knows me at the beginning, we would chat frequently, but afterwards it became less and less, just like we haven't known each other. is it a common case?

maybe yes. in my world, there are many types of "friends", and i have my own definition for each type. maybe i can find a true friend online someday, but now i am still waiting for such a friend.

1. so do you believe that we can find true friends online?

2. have you found your true friend online?

3. what do you think are the differences between friends online and friends in real life?

thanks for your attention.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Wing!

I think we can find real friends online but obviously, distance is a handicap. I know some people who knew each other online and after met they keep on being friends (even more), anyway these are the less cases.

I don't have online friends who ever met so I can't consider them as really close friends but online friends and I apreciate them too.

So main differences between them, as Clover said, are that we don't know their behaveaur in real life, anyway if I had a chance I'd like to meet any of them.

Well, that's my opinion, and if you want you have an online Ec friend in Spain too :)
    • Hi Estanis, Hi Wing,
      Thank you for yours reply, and of course, all of you are my online friends in this site. Good friends will give good opinion, so you are ... :)

• hi, Estanis. thanks for replying and sharing.

i consider one of my friends online as a close friends though. but as you guys said, it is difficult to find a "ture" friend. especially when i chatted with them for the first time, we both felt good. but gradually without common interest/ more curiosity we contact each other less and less, and finally it seemed that we had never chatted. i have such experience for several times. i would feel kinda sad / upset for it but anyway this is also the less case.

if possible, i'd love to have online friends from all over the world. i love learning about different languages and cultures. thank you so much though i don't get on EC that much. anyway thank you very much.

• Hi Wing,
      I found one big mistake of mine, that's I was almost have time for my friends online because I am quite busy. And with no contact, no sharding so friendship will fade away. It is not only online friends online but also friends in real life.

• I think that we can find true friends online but it harder than real life

I found some friends online already and I think they are good friends but when I met them some time then I disapointed.

The differences between friends online and friends in real life: is behavior, some of friends online very nice but we can not see their behavior but in real life you can see that. And friends online you may easier make friend in over the world but in real life it more dificult.

• thank you for sharing your opinion with me, Clover.

i found some friends online too. but as you said, when we met , we might feel disappointed, because they are different from our  imagination/ impression. it is true that without going abroad it is really difficult to know some foreigner.

thank you again for your reply!!

• yes, I understand, and even true friends in real life is not easy.
      I think that it is good if after graduate high school, we can find a scholar ship and study in other country or study master program after graduate from University/college. By this way, we can learn more about language, culture... from other country.

• scholarship can be also difficult for me in mainland china. but given the chance that would be a great chance.

This reply was deleted.