can we find true friend online?

last year i made lots of "friends" online, both on ec and other websites. they are from Algeria, Brazil, Canada,Columbia, England, Germany, Italy,India, Japan, Morocco, Peru, United States, Vietnam, Sudan, Slovenia, ......thank you all, i am happy and honored to "meet" you online. 

but i am wondering who are my true friends. He used to treat me like me elder brother do, and now he is busy with his study again so he leave me alone for a "long" time. but i understand his situation and i am grateful for his kindness that he always gave to me. though we haven't chat for a while, when i think of him, i will still smile for our nice chat in the past.

as for some other online friends, when he/she knows me at the beginning, we would chat frequently, but afterwards it became less and less, just like we haven't known each other. is it a common case?

maybe yes. in my world, there are many types of "friends", and i have my own definition for each type. maybe i can find a true friend online someday, but now i am still waiting for such a friend.

1. so do you believe that we can find true friends online?

2. have you found your true friend online?

3. what do you think are the differences between friends online and friends in real life?

thanks for your attention.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• hi, Deepa, thanks for replying.

i think whether we can find true friends online depends on how true you are looking for. maybe everyone has his/ her own definition for "true freinds". if we really want to have true friends online, i believe we can do that.

• I do agree with you in this point of view. Nice reply. 

• i have some friends online...i love them very much...

• I think they also love you for sure .

• hi, Tetyana. thanks for replying.

if i were your friends online, i would be happy to know that "you love them".

best wishes to you and your friends online.

• Hi Wing,

Online friends and life friends have different duties, we can't have the same expectations from these two kinds of friends, a good online friend is one that is not intended to deceive others because it is difficult to know them well. I think most people make online friendship for talking, being amused and learning about different nations, cultures and customs.

• hi, Saba, thanks for your replying.

i agree with you that we do have different expectations towards two types of friends. but i will not use "duties" to describe what my friends have done/ are doing/ will do for me. it should not be a duty. i just hope what we are doing for each other are of our own accord. anyway this is my attitude towards friends and friendship. i don't mean any comment on your opinions but share mine with you.

• Well, I could not express what I mean, I want to say when we enter an online friendship community, we accept the obligations of that site, and if we fulfill our moral and legal obligations, then we are true online friends.

• ok, i get your point! ! it is true that we do have some different restrictions on different websites. thanks for replying

• I'm sure that we can, but it also depends on how '"true" it is or you want ;) Anyways from your presentation I can see that you did have true friends online, didn't you. I think it is easy to make friends but hard to keep them, not just in virtual but real world as well. I have a close friend online too, though we don't have enough time to chat usually but thing is we can understand well each other and can share our lives, our thoughts. When it comes to that count, friends online is not very far from friends in real life. I agree with Estanis, distance is a big problem, but due to it, you can open up to your close friend about deepest secrets (which you think you will never tell to anyone) inside you without worry and hesitation, because we don't really know each other and maybe wouldn't meet in persons in the rest of our lives. I don't know if I would be able to maintain our frienship once I meet them, but I would do that if I could anyways

This reply was deleted.