Can we change BAD character?

Hello all MyEC friends,

Character is brought by nature. There are good and bad in every person. Some of us could realize our BAD character, but hardly could ignore it. If this BAD was getting more critical, this could harm us or spoil our relationship with people. So, my question is..

• Can we change BAD character?
  • If YES, HOW?.........If NO, WHY?

In my own opinion, there are only two steps, willingness and learning.

Note: some of BAD characters could be 

• quick tempered
  • panicky
  • inconsistent
  • revengeful
  • intolerant
  • careless
  • difficult to motivate themselves
  • less empathy
  • hard to admit mistakes
  • and many more.  

This is NOT about HABIT, ATTITUDE or BEHAVIOR. In case of confusion, please read my blog about the definition of them.

Thank you very much for reading and joining this discussion. You could share tips and/or experiences here. I would be glad to hear from you. :)

---------------------

Have a look at this one real story:

A father, who always be angry to every family member whatever they did, right or wrong. He's not as cruel as people saw, but he's just QUICK-TEMPERED. He doesn't really like hit the things or family members body, but just talk with high tone in every situation so often. He learnt how to manage himself not to do it, but years has gone by. This CHARACTER HAS MADE HIM GET FAR FROM HER SONS AND DAUGHTERS. Fortunately he has a patient wife. All that he could do is less talking. At his age, he's a bit late to repent. But, in other way, all the family still love him.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dear bethoven,

Calling a name is a HOMAGE. If you changed the name with the bad ones, it would be a problem. I hope not. You could start with a bit silent. :)) 

The SENSITIVE and/or RUDE character are here. Maybe we should try to do introspection all the time. We could change our bad habit with our awareness anyway. 

Thanks a lot for joining my discussion. :)

• Hello Ana, so glad to have your view here.

In other words, it needs lots of patience. Thank you very much for participating. :)

• Batuhan, I would like to make a bit correction for my last reply to you. 

Your example is a CONSEQUENCE of being "LAZY", one of which I mean BAD character. This "lazy" MOSTLY makes people failed or less result in many things and it really bothers our personality. To change it, we're hard to just say discipline as discipline itself is the opposite of lazy. If they have a strong character of "lazy", change could be started with willingness and spirit. Time surely play a big role here.

Thank you very much for sharing your thought here. I'm glad you joined my discussion. :)

• yes of course, everybody can change bad character. its depend how their effort to change it. if we want to change bad character to good character, we have to do step by step. dont do with hurried.

• So true, Elen. It's QUITE DIFFICULT, but NOT IMPOSSIBLE. Thanks again for your reply. :)

• Mishaikh, those are BAD ACTIONS. Please read my blog. Thank you. Hmmm..

ATTITUDE, BEHAVIOR, HABIT, and CHARACTER
    Dear all, I’ll try to make a brief explanation about those in the title regarding to my discussion “Can we change BAD character?”. Please remember th…
    • First you define what is really a BAD CHARACTER, A BAD PERSON is. Then it will be decided can a bad character be changed in a good character.My answer is that that yes it can be changed but with firm will not to repeat and feel shame for the ones done already.

• I've already explained, Mishaikh. And read also my reply for Evangelina. Thanks for your concern. :) 

• Dear Robbie, when every one could eliminate negative mindset, how wonderful and peaceful world was...! :)

It's also one of character that we should change. Sometimes, there are people have strong negative mindset. When we could improve it, it could help us to be successful in life or more.

Thank you for sharing your opinion here. I'm glad you joined my discussion. :)

• Here, I want to clarify.....BAD character doesn't mean BAD person.

Abusing, sexual assault, bribing, fraudulent, conspiring, (there are dozens more) these are bad characters, only a bad person can commit these criminal acts or having these characteristics a person can not be called a good person.

This reply was deleted.