Another french expression :

"Voir le verre à moitié plein"

"To see the half-full glass"

This expression means the possibility we have to see the good things in a wrong situation. To be more explicit, I translate it by this way :

Be optimistic !

Even if things goes wrong, even if you're in trouble, you have to be optimistic. Things are not so bad, and you will always have a way to get out of this situation. Sometimes it's hard to see good things when everything goes wrong ! But if you are pessimistic, you will only see the bad points of your life.

Since a few weeks I try to see "the half-full glass". That's not so easy when a new trouble comes over the others.

Do you have such an expression in your countries ? I would be glad to share it with you. With all these members on MyEC, we should have a mountain of optimism to share ...

Have a nice day, Have a nice night my dear Friends !

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm afraid that learning English language is my unresolved matter ...

Maybe could we share some lessons ? :)

Et voilà ... Merci d'avoir pris le temps de me lire ...

MARY said:

Oh to learn French language is my unresolved matter. 

French expressions can be so useful in my daily life...

e04f8a69f68d9cf1f21336c8820e4b1f.jpg?width=300

merci!

Voir le verre à moitié plein To see the half-full glass This expression means the possibility we have to see the good things in a wrong situation.…
  • I speak French...

fries. -_-

MARY said:

Oh to learn French language is my unresolved matter. 

merci!

Voir le verre à moitié plein To see the half-full glass This expression means the possibility we have to see the good things in a wrong situation.…
  • Oh to learn French language is my unresolved matter. 

merci!

• Thank you Nora! Reading your expression and Bassam's expression, it seems to be a little difference. Am I wrong ?

• Hi Constantine!

Thank you for your rich reply.

As I am not very close to philosophy, I humbly acknowledge be sealed. This expression, although it has a deep hidden meaning, is used much more simply.

I'm not quite fluent in English, and maybe I misspoke, and I was incomplete in my explanations.

Fisrt of all, you're right. The full expression is "Viewing glass half full rather than half empty"

Let me give you an example of use :

Your best friend is talking about his job. His salary has increased. 150 (put your currency ;o) ) more. You're happy for him. That's great.

Unfortunately this is not enough for him! He wanted much more!

"Come on, stop viewing glass half empty !"

Enjoy what you got!

This is very simple and familiar. this is very expressive, figurative. I use this expression with people who are always unhappy, unsatisfied. And most of people do the same.

• Thank you dear Bassam for your reply!

It would be interesting to write this arabic expression in phonetic (I'm confused but I can't read Arabic, but I would love to) :o)

• THANKS FOR THIS INTERESTING TOPIC.

IN ARABIC WE SAY:رؤية النصف المملوء من الكأس

TO SEE THE HALF-FULL GLASS

This reply was deleted.