Causative structures indicate that one thing or person causes another thing or person to do something or be something.
Examples of causatives
Have (give someone the responsibility to do something)
- I had John fix the car
- I had my hair cut
Make (force someone to do something)
- The teacher made the students work in groups
- Our boss made us work extra hours
Get (convince or trick someone into doing something)
- He got the mechanic to repair the machine.
- She got him to read more.
Let (allow someone do something)
- Jane let her son go out
- They let the children play in the yard
Other causative verbs
Other causative verbs include:
allow, help, enable, keep, hold, force, require, persuade