I’m a Honeybee! I would like to nominate myself for the Mascot of EC. I have the following grounds for wanting to be considered for the post. Please peruse at your leisure!
2. The colony wouldn’t have come into existence without our benevolent sovereign, the queen. The way I see it, you have your own caring sovereign, Mr Josef Essberger who created EC and living a life of selfless to a virtual community.
3. The might of our colony lies in our drones’ capable hands. Similarly, the rise of EC is left in the care of your lovely Administrator, obliging Moderators and friendly Teachers whose contributions are of immeasurable importance for its growth.
4. Our workers are akin to the learners of EC. Our workers have to work hard for their own good and the colony. In the same way, your learners of English have to work hard for their own betterment and the people around them as they will be serving the community they live in, after all.
5. There is, undeniably, a general perception that we are hostile towards others. I’m totally surprised by the vehemence of such view about us. People must understand that we don’t bother others unless we are bothered by them. In the circumstances, we are forced to use the ‘Stings’ for our sheer protection. I don’t see anything wrong with that! To my amazement, you have a small army of your own protectors called ‘Spambusters’. They are always ready to shield the club from unsuspecting dangers in the form of spammers.
6. We are always energetic and there would be no lack of enthusiasm when it comes to going far distances to achieve our goal, “collecting nectar”. My advice to EC members is that you must always willing to go to any extent to master the English Language. You’ll be surprised to see how far you could go if you are persistent in your quest.
7. It must be stressed that we owe the success of our colony to the untiring team work displayed by everybody at all times. I hope it is not too much to ask EC members to follow our footsteps and work together as a team for the mutual benefit of your club members.
8. It may seem to you that it is very easy for us to collect that much of honey that you all normally see in our honeycomb. Actually, we carry the nectar from the (ground) lower level where the flowers are to the top of the tree, a higher level where we usually build our beehive. It’s indeed a gradual progress! You can’t achieve anything in life just in the blink of an eye. That applies to your learning of English as well. You have to move from one level to another. It’s up to you to set the bar!
9. After all these teamwork, dedication, etc. we all share the honey as a reward. Similarly, one day you’ll be rewarded with something pleasantly sweet – the mastery of English. I hope EC members will always emulate our achievements. Good luck!
April 7, 2014