EC's social network
It has been a while since we've written fiction together in a Writing Challenge! My friend Marisa, an English language teacher trainer in Greece, recently shared a fun tool for teachers to use in class. It's called the Giant Storymaker. It's always fun to try classroom activities and games in an online environment like MyEC. Sometimes they work very well! For example: (Jeopardy? | Don't Say Yes or No | Have you Ever?| Homograph Challenge)
1. Pick a two-digit number from 1-9. My number will be 38. (Don't pick the same number!) I promise not to change mine after I look at the Storymaker. You must promise this too! If you don't trust yourself, ask a friend to pick a number for you.
2. Visit Marisa's Giant Storymaker. You will see four grids. There is one for Characters, Places, Situations, and Objects. Find your number in all four grids, and write down the word or phrase that you see.
3. Start a new blog post. Use this title: "Writing Challenge: Story by Numbers".
4. Write a short story using these four ideas. Keep it short and simple.
5. Share a link to your story in the comments below!
6. OPTIONAL: Ask a MyEC friend to read your story and draw a picture to go with it! Have your friend take a picture of their drawing. Upload the picture to go with your story.
Story Writing Checklist
As many of you know, I always take my own blog challenges! My story will follow in a subsequent blog post. I picked 38. This is what I got:
Character: The prince of the gypsies
Place: In the middle of the ocean
Situation: Running out of ideas
Object: An old toothbrush
NOTE: I'm going to pick two characters from the storymaker. You can as well. To add another character, simply go +1 in the grid. My second character is #39: "a fisherman who brags" - handy!)
*At the end of your story, please share a link to Marisa's Giant Storymaker, so that we can give proper credit to her. Thank you!
Add a Comment