You may use your Profile Page to promote your own product, service or website related to learning or teaching English, but promotional materials unrelated to learning or teaching English are not allowed.
Examples of people or organizations that might want to promote include:
- teachers of English
- English schools
- ESL websites
- ESL publishers
To avoid being banned and having your content removed, please review these basic guidelines first:
- Your own Profile Page (this includes your own blog posts, audio, videos, photos etc) is the place to promote your product, service or website. Do not leave promotional links or messages on other members' walls, in the chat room or in private messages (unless a member specifically requests information). Do not use your company name, URL or email address as your profile name.
- Soft sell in a respectful way. For example, write an occasional blog post about an upcoming contest, upgrade or product launch. If you're an online teacher or tutor, you can provide information and links on your Profile Page related to your service. To avoid being reported and potentially banned, we recommend that you have other non-promotional content unrelated to your business on your page as well. Do not use MyEC solely as a place to advertise.
- Engage with the community. This may include responding to questions or comments on your wall, providing tips or suggestions related to English, moderating a chat topic, or helping with corrections (when asked). It may also include reporting misbehaviour or technical problems. The more engaged you become with the community, the more likely our members will be interested in your site, service or product. Our members will also be more likely to fill out a survey or offer you feedback if you are known to the community. Leaving comments on other members' blogs, videos and photos is a good way to demonstrate to admin that you are part of the community. MyEC admin will delete your profile page should other members complain that your promotional content is intrusive.
Note that our community has zero tolerance for spamming. Members who spam will be banned and have all content removed. Spamming includes:
- posting promotional messages on/in other members' walls, groups or inboxes
- posting promotional messages in the forums or chat room
Please also read Why Was I Banned?