Somebody is looking for someone here and ask me some details, in order for me to grasp who is he talking about I've described some people formerly working in the vicinity. I came to mentioned one lady and I said: "you mean the office where that fat lady is working?". Well you know, I don't have a bad intention when describing someone it's just that the vocabulary I got in used for the moment..."fat lady"... after that one coworker told me that is not the right word to describe the person...oh crap! Did I make a mess again? For being true to my description?

I don't like sugarcoating, though I know how to say some proper words, I don't feel sorry for what I said.

Somebody condemn me please if I'm anti-wrong terminology usage. Darn!  

Views: 243

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well if you don't like sugarcoating then .... why do you like bittercoating : )) ..

The thing that your friend did, I did the same a few days ago. There is a well built ;) person in my lab group. An another member was talking to me about him in his absence and he used same words "fat guy" I just felt bad I dunno why lol but I told him use his name why do you say such words for him.. I guess there is no good in saying such words in absence of someone if you can't say same thing on their face as well.

(I know AG you are reading this and as I said "if you can't say same thing on their face" so :D do not argue with me)

Hello, Muskan! I didn't know that bittercoating until you've informed me, plus I don't think it belongs to "legal" vocabulary as it is turning the red line in my writing tool.  :D

I used the term fat because that's the correct word to use, (what culture telling that's inappropriate?) Do I really have to qualms when using a right word? I don't know the name of that woman and that's the only description I have for her because we are not close. Oh dear, not because we aren't close that is why I sounded so tackless...though I don't see "fat" as negative, it's a body state ---should I rather use "the woman there who is "healthy"...where thin people could also be healthy.

Am I lost?



Muskan said:

Well if you don't like sugarcoating then .... why do you like bittercoating : )) ..

The thing that your friend did, I did the same a few days ago. There is a well built ;) person in my lab group. An another member was talking to me about him in his absence and he used same words "fat guy" I just felt bad I dunno why lol but I told him use his name why do you say such words for him.. I guess there is no good in saying such words in absence of someone if you can't say same thing on their face as well.

(I know AG you are reading this and as I said "if you can't say same thing on their face" so :D do not argue with me)

Dear Risty, You asked for enlightenment I came with a new word to bring some glittery light to this discussion :D Should I thank you for inspiring me for neologism? :P 

Anyway, in that case when I don't know name yeah even I do same thing, I use "fat lady" description. And calling them healthy haha no a fat person is not healthy so that will be a misnomer. 
Risty said:

Hello, Muskan! I didn't know that bittercoating until you've informed me, plus I don't think it belongs to "legal" vocabulary as it is turning the red line in my writing tool.  :D

I used the term fat because that's the correct word to use, (what culture telling that's inappropriate?) Do I really have to qualms when using a right word? I don't know the name of that woman and that's the only description I have for her because we are not close. Oh dear, not because we aren't close that is why I sounded so tackless...though I don't see "fat" as negative, it's a body state ---should I rather use "the woman there who is "healthy"...where thin people could also be healthy.

Am I lost?

Oh yes! I'm glad you've got my point. You know he even told me like "it's the same as saying ugly"..what???!!! Fat is ugly?? when does that two word became synonymous? I was not informed. To be honest, I appreciate some fat woman, despite some load of thick layers I find some pretty (how much more if they lose weight?)

Muskan said:

Dear Risty, You asked for enlightenment I came with a new word to bring some glittery light to this discussion :D Should I thank you for inspiring me for neologism? :P 

Anyway, in that case when I don't know name yeah even I do same thing, I use "fat lady" 

      We can get out of it most of the time . I admit it might be hurtful to describe  others  with things that are out of their hands  . Nevertheless  , I see people around me who like their bad names as away to say " I don't care "  in my brother list number on of his  name is the frog  the other one name  is the uger.  :) maybe  they like bad funny names to look  funny and cool .  However  ,   u are full of sense and responsibilities  Risty u have  regretted  the word fat   . That indicates  that u didn't  mean it at all :)

Risty! Welcome to the Century of Euphemism and the Dictatorship of the Political Correctness!! XD

I don't think is such a big thing either, but oh well... In my case, i've always been under my weight and I've had to hear many times people telling me: *insert riduculous voice here*---> "Oh, you are so skinny, you should eat more blah, blah...". And I've always wondered: What if I do the same?? What if I say to someone: "Ugh you're so fatty, you should eat less..." :P   But I've never done that 'cause is 'socially impolite'. And why the first case is ok but the second is 'socially impolite'?? Well, the difference is because... wait... what is the difference? XD

Anyway, the thing I'm learning from the society of my time is: "no matter what you do/say. At the end, there's gonna be always someone who's gonna get offended" :P

Socially impolite, good description and that's the point.

NOoooooo Rose, please, believe me, or not if I mean to be mean and I intentionally wanted to belittle someone I don't know, I prefer to remain silent about it, keep my words with me. Well, unless if they provoke me but still I know when to shut up.

I just describe her because I don't even know her name, that's the only description I have in mind aside from that she is wearing an abaya (should I keep that too? that isn't a bad description, right?). I didn't mean harm or disgrace but I don't feel sorry for just describing someone.

adjective

fat

1.

(of a person or animal) having a large amount of excess flesh.

"the driver was a fat wheezing man"

(google.com)

 



Rosemary said:

      We can get out of it most of the time . I admit it might be hurtful to describe  others  with things that are out of their hands  . Nevertheless  , I see people around me who like their bad names as away to say " I don't care "  in my brother list number on of his  name is the frog  the other one name  is the uger.  :) maybe  they like bad funny names to look  funny and cool .  However  ,   u are full of sense and responsibilities  Risty u have  regretted  the word fat   . That indicates  that u didn't  mean it at all :)

Hello, Mary! If saying something to counterattack or return the insult, I will not say that too.  I've learned that it is a sin to call a stupid person "intelligent", and vice versa. You know the word "ataranta", right? from that word a really bad word was derived and widely use in my country (a curse word) "tarantado"...but, people who out of ignorance has been using the word without knowing that the real meaning of the word was meant for someone who "is in a state of panic/surprise".

I agree with that last statement, but you know if a person doesn't have evil eyes he will not see it the way he does.



MARY said:

Risty! Welcome to the Century of Euphemism and the Dictatorship of the Political Correctness!! XD

I don't think is such a big thing either, but oh well... In my case, i've always been under my weight and I've had to hear many times people telling me: *insert riduculous voice here*---> "Oh, you are so skinny, you should eat more blah, blah...". And I've always wondered: What if I do the same?? What if I say to someone: "Ugh you're so fatty, you should eat less..." :P   But I've never done that 'cause is 'socially impolite'. And why the first case is ok but the second is 'socially impolite'?? Well, the difference is because... wait... what is the difference? XD

Anyway, the thing I'm learning from the society of my time is: "no matter what you do/say. At the end, there's gonna be always someone who's gonna get offended" :P

Hahaa... I would say it too...if it was my friend I would talk with - it might sound ofc harsh to strangers but people talk like this omggg!
I searched for appropriate word and guess we call such people plump? :p no worries.. it isn't any tragedyy ;)

Hello, Luci! Thanks, I got this off my chest now..like I did a crime of straightforwardness. Somehow, I understand how you feel. :D

Luci said:

Hahaa... I would say it too...if it was my friend I would talk with - it might sound ofc harsh to strangers but people talk like this omggg!
I searched for appropriate word and guess we call such people plump? :p no worries.. it isn't any tragedyy ;)

Hello, Andy! So, I'm such a pain in the neck...sometimes.

:D

andy said:

Socially impolite, good description and that's the point.

RSS

How to Report a Member
FIRST, go to the member's page. Click "Report Member" at the bottom of the page. Fill in the form and send.

MyEC Terms of Service

Technical HELP

Please DON'T Plagiarize!

Test your level

MyEC Moderators
Robbie
Grace
Expector
Nadira 
Paula
Onee

Josef Essberger

Official MyEC Page

Official MyEC Welcoming Committee

Forum

Privacy

Started by dara gino in General Discussion. Last reply by dara gino 6 hours ago. 32 Replies

My wife looks at my mobile phone curiously. Whenever I come back from work and go to the children's room, or the toilet or do anything, she just holds it and begins to see the messages and the pictures. At first, I did not pay attention to it, but…Continue

today is a beautiful day to die

Started by Harold velasquez in General Discussion. Last reply by A738a on Sunday. 17 Replies

awesome phrase Continue

Solve This.....

Started by kala in General Discussion. Last reply by Roman on Saturday. 14 Replies

Two words are jumbled up in each of the following items.If you find out one word, the other will be its opposite.Example:-…Continue

The teaching profession

Started by lomaloma in General Discussion. Last reply by Onee-chan on Friday. 5 Replies

What do you think about the teaching profession? Is it dull or interesting ? I am gonna be  a teacher , but I think that people do not like teachers . I wanna know what do you think about the teaching profession Continue

© 2017   Created by Josef Essberger.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report Member  |  Terms of Service