since 1997, the world's premier FREE website for learners + teachers of English

Modesty is a good state. It is the quality of being not proud or confident about yourself, and moderate in the estimation of one's ability. On the other hand, if someone slaps you, will you give him the other cheek out of modesty? If someone takes your land, will you succumb out of modesty? Are there limits or red lines for shyness or timidity?  

Views: 443

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm afraid I won't give him the other cheek to slap. I'm not ready to accept violence against myself or others. I'm against hate and I don't like violence but I see that sometimes we have to make a stand against violence. Otherwise the violent people will destroy the peaceful people.
Ofcourse it is better to solve the conflict in peaceful way. But ofcourse sometimes it is impossible. In that case, one of the main abilities is ability to forgive our enemies and ourselves too.

  " If someone  slaps u "  dara genio   , this was a discussion  in one of our educational  lectures  at college   . I remember  the words of our  professor  Mr .AL Ghanam   , who have said at that time  explaining  things for us  . That Christianity  brought  the concept  of absolute  forgiveness   " slaps the other cheek  "  . Which  , is for sure difficult  for most people to do  . Only few reach the high spiritual  devin  level to act like Christ  . While  , Islam brought up the notions  of absolute  forgiveness  or absolute  fairness  . Hence  , u have the right to slap back  or forgive  him  . Finally  , I think  modesty have no relation with Jesus  Christ famous saying  . Being modest  dosent  being  humiliated   . Christ words refelect  a certain  situation related  to him as a prophet  , a thing that u and I and the others can't copy or imitate   .  It my opinion  at the end 

I think modesty don't mean the quality of being not proud or confident about yourself. Human can be moderate because they have pride and confidence. Modesty don't mean to succumb to violence. There would be the time when we must fight against aggressors or people who use violence. However I knew two men who fight against them without using violence. They are Gandhi and Martin Luther King, Jr. They are very great.

Raik aala aina wa rasna, ya Rosemary. Inti taamuri ya ustaza. Ana ahib Alhada wa ahib attaif ajameela. We have the right to retaliate in Islam as you mentioned. If someone hits you, you hit back. It's up to you if you are able to do and refrain from doing it, this is very wise and it might lead to reconciliation at the end. Thanks for your first and wise comment.

Rosemary :) said:

  " If someone  slaps u "  dara genio   , this was a discussion  in one of our educational  lectures  at college   . I remember  the words of our  professor  Mr .AL Ghanam   , who have said at that time  explaining  things for us  . That Christianity  brought  the concept  of absolute  forgiveness   " slaps the other cheek  "  . Which  , is for sure difficult  for most people to do  . Only few reach the high spiritual  devin  level to act like Christ  . While  , Islam brought up the notions  of absolute  forgiveness  or absolute  fairness  . Hence  , u have the right to slap back  or forgive  him  . Finally  , I think  modesty have no relation with Jesus  Christ famous saying  . Being modest  dosent  being  humiliated   . Christ words refelect  a certain  situation related  to him as a prophet  , a thing that u and I and the others can't copy or imitate   .  It my opinion  at the end 

   Keep posting  ya dara  gino  :) 

Ya bogtoyous z toboyu  Roman. I totally agree with you. Solving the matter peacefully is good. Of course, you must able to fight back and you stop to solve it and forgive the other part. Thanks.

Roman said:

Ofcourse it is better to solve the conflict in peaceful way. But ofcourse sometimes it is impossible. In that case, one of the main abilities is ability to forgive our enemies and ourselves too.

Hello Mr. Bob, your blog about hatred and this discussion are related to one another. Both articles are calling for forgiveness when you are able to fight back. because quarrel leads to undesired results. Mr. Bob, I hope to be added to the list of your friends, is that possible? Thanks for your wise and nice comment. 

Mr. Bob said:

I'm afraid I won't give him the other cheek to slap. I'm not ready to accept violence against myself or others. I'm against hate and I don't like violence but I see that sometimes we have to make a stand against violence. Otherwise the violent people will destroy the peaceful people.

Yokoso Tam! Of course, if someone uses violence, we must face him and force him to stop that. Otherwise, things might convert into cowardice. We use modesty when we are able to fight back but we stop to finish the matter peacefully, as Teacher Bob said. It is the typical modesty we are talking about. The ability to take back what had been taken from you but you do not do it, just for the sake of settling the matter and forgive your oppressor. I really appreciate your comment, thank you.

tam said:

I think modesty don't mean the quality of being not proud or confident about yourself. Human can be moderate because they have pride and confidence. Modesty don't mean to succumb to violence. There would be the time when we must fight against aggressors or people who use violence. However I knew two men who fight against them without using violence. They are Gandhi and Martin Luther King, Jr. They are very great.

:) I think, correct to say "Ya pogodzhuyusʹ z toboyu":) But i am glad to see my native language:)


dara gino said:

Ya bogtoyous z toboyu  Roman. I totally agree with you. Solving the matter peacefully is good. Of course, you must able to fight back and you stop to solve it and forgive the other part. Thanks.

Roman said:

Ofcourse it is better to solve the conflict in peaceful way. But ofcourse sometimes it is impossible. In that case, one of the main abilities is ability to forgive our enemies and ourselves too.

In my opinion 'modesty' is 'not being oppressor' on the contrary it is to stop it by will and strength like Mr. Bob commented.  I agree with his comment.  It is modesty to stop oppression and help the oppressed against the aggressor.  

Nice and thought provoking topic Dara. Thanks for sharing.

Dyakuyu Roman, please, keep teaching me so that my Roman can improve some day. Thanks. 

Roman said:

:) I think, correct to say "Ya pogodzhuyusʹ z toboyu":) But i am glad to see my native language:)


dara gino said:

Ya bogtoyous z toboyu  Roman. I totally agree with you. Solving the matter peacefully is good. Of course, you must able to fight back and you stop to solve it and forgive the other part. Thanks.

Roman said:

Ofcourse it is better to solve the conflict in peaceful way. But ofcourse sometimes it is impossible. In that case, one of the main abilities is ability to forgive our enemies and ourselves too.

RSS

How to Report a Member
FIRST, go to the member's page. Click "Report Member" at the bottom of the page. Fill in the form and send.

MyEC Terms of Service

Technical HELP

Please DON'T Plagiarize!

Test your level

MyEC Moderators
Robbie
Grace
Expector
Nadira 
Paula
Onee

Josef Essberger

Official MyEC Page

Official MyEC Welcoming Committee

Forum

How do you write "happiness" in your language?

Started by Jessie in General Discussion. Last reply by ella 4 hours ago. 23 Replies

In my country,Thailand. I write the word  "happiness" as "ความสุข" in my own language.Continue

Old age house

Started by dara gino in General Discussion. Last reply by dara gino 16 hours ago. 41 Replies

It is about the house of old people. In our society, we take our old mother or father there. We are able to support them but still, we take them there to spend the rest of their life. They did their best to raise us and to bring us to the society.…Continue

perfume

Started by dara gino in General Discussion. Last reply by Mishaikh 8 hours ago. 12 Replies

I like to use a nice fragrance. I used to put Channel 5, One man show, Trinity, and Boss. My wife likes Channel 5 very much. She told me to stick to it, but I like to change. This liquid which we put on our skins attracts the attention. I remembered…Continue

© 2017   Created by Josef Essberger.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report Member  |  Terms of Service