the world's premier FREE website for learners + teachers of English

Hi, my dear teachers, 

Today, I read on English Club about brackets: 

https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/sentence/parenthetical-expressi...  

It looks like "brackets" and "parentheses" are the same. I looked at Cambridge Dictionary about "bracket" and I saw it refers to parentheses too.   

Are they the same?

If not, what is the difference between them? 

Best wishes,

Views: 106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion


Hi, dear Rose, 

I am very happy to see your nice explanation here. It is very kind of you. 

Be sure. All of answers to this discussion helped me very much. Dear ELF-Noor, dear NotAclue also helped me very much.  

Thanks to all of you.

I only have one question: 

What does "pointy brackets" mean? 

Thank you and best wishes,

Rose said:

I think you can use parentheses (  )  as additions, as besides-explanations.

For example: He had entered ( accompanied by a beautiful woman) the library.

You also could write: He had entered the library, accompanied by a beautiful woman.

The usage of parentheses to write the information that he was in accompny by a beautiful woman, is a less important information than to write it as a subsidiary sentence.

I understand informations inside of parentheses as additions.


Brackets [also called square brackets] are used in my understanding like deviations or unterruptions in sentences, to explain something or to use quotations within your sentences.

For example:             He was working with Meryl Streep [American actress].

another example       “Words are a pretext. It is the inner bond that draws one person
                              to another, not words.” [Jalaluddin Rumi]
                        

You can use brackets also to put on foreign languages a note how you pronounce it.

For example:  wednesday [wensday]       

Parentheses and brackets are used also in Mathematics. ( just for example )
for example:     (12 x 4) x (3+2)] + [(120-50) + (20 x 20)] = ?
                      [ (48)     x  (5)   ] + [(70)        + (400)]     = ?       
                      [ 240 ]                + [ 470 ]                      = 710     

I know, my explanations are not complete but maybe it helps you a little to understand the difference.

Dear Bijan,

Pointy Brackets is an archetypal pair of characters and are used in the world of computing.

it's this one:   < >   .... it's used as computer icon and it's used like a "frame"

.... example: <hr class="subtitle"> .....

Normally is < the mathematical sign for "less than" : for example: 2 < 3 ....

and  > is the mark mathematical sign for "greaeter than" : for example: 5 > 3 ....

      

I hope I did help a little.



Bijan said:


Hi, dear Rose, 

I am very happy to see your nice explanation here. It is very kind of you. 

Be sure. All of answers to this discussion helped me very much. Dear ELF-Noor, dear NotAclue also helped me very much.  

Thanks to all of you.

I only have one question: 

What does "pointy brackets" mean? 

Thank you and best wishes,

Rose said:

I think you can use parentheses (  )  as additions, as besides-explanations.

For example: He had entered ( accompanied by a beautiful woman) the library.

You also could write: He had entered the library, accompanied by a beautiful woman.

The usage of parentheses to write the information that he was in accompny by a beautiful woman, is a less important information than to write it as a subsidiary sentence.

I understand informations inside of parentheses as additions.


Brackets [also called square brackets] are used in my understanding like deviations or unterruptions in sentences, to explain something or to use quotations within your sentences.

For example:             He was working with Meryl Streep [American actress].

another example       “Words are a pretext. It is the inner bond that draws one person
                              to another, not words.” [Jalaluddin Rumi]
                        

You can use brackets also to put on foreign languages a note how you pronounce it.

For example:  wednesday [wensday]       

Parentheses and brackets are used also in Mathematics. ( just for example )
for example:     (12 x 4) x (3+2)] + [(120-50) + (20 x 20)] = ?
                      [ (48)     x  (5)   ] + [(70)        + (400)]     = ?       
                      [ 240 ]                + [ 470 ]                      = 710     

I know, my explanations are not complete but maybe it helps you a little to understand the difference.

Dear Rose, 

Firstly, your explanation is beautiful like your name (Rose). 

Secondly, your name (Rose) means "Goal" in Farsi language that is like flower in English. 

Thirdly, you proved that your heart is also beautiful like your name because you answered me kindly. 

Finally, I got all of my questions very well.

I hope to see you in my country one day and take you to historical places of Iran like Persepolis.  

Thanks a lot and best wishes,

Rose said:

Dear Bijan,

Pointy Brackets is an archetypal pair of characters and are used in the world of computing.

it's this one:   < >   .... it's used as computer icon and it's used like a "frame"

.... example: <hr class="subtitle"> .....

Normally is < the mathematical sign for "less than" : for example: 2 < 3 ....

and  > is the mark mathematical sign for "greaeter than" : for example: 5 > 3 ....

      

I hope I did help a little.



Bijan said:


Hi, dear Rose, 

I am very happy to see your nice explanation here. It is very kind of you. 

Be sure. All of answers to this discussion helped me very much. Dear ELF-Noor, dear NotAclue also helped me very much.  

Thanks to all of you.

I only have one question: 

What does "pointy brackets" mean? 

Thank you and best wishes,

Rose said:

I think you can use parentheses (  )  as additions, as besides-explanations.

For example: He had entered ( accompanied by a beautiful woman) the library.

You also could write: He had entered the library, accompanied by a beautiful woman.

The usage of parentheses to write the information that he was in accompny by a beautiful woman, is a less important information than to write it as a subsidiary sentence.

I understand informations inside of parentheses as additions.


Brackets [also called square brackets] are used in my understanding like deviations or unterruptions in sentences, to explain something or to use quotations within your sentences.

For example:             He was working with Meryl Streep [American actress].

another example       “Words are a pretext. It is the inner bond that draws one person
                              to another, not words.” [Jalaluddin Rumi]
                        

You can use brackets also to put on foreign languages a note how you pronounce it.

For example:  wednesday [wensday]       

Parentheses and brackets are used also in Mathematics. ( just for example )
for example:     (12 x 4) x (3+2)] + [(120-50) + (20 x 20)] = ?
                      [ (48)     x  (5)   ] + [(70)        + (400)]     = ?       
                      [ 240 ]                + [ 470 ]                      = 710     

I know, my explanations are not complete but maybe it helps you a little to understand the difference.

Dear Bijan,

thanks for your kind words.

Bijan said:

Dear Rose, 

Firstly, your explanation is beautiful like your name (Rose). 

Secondly, your name (Rose) means "Goal" in Farsi language that is like flower in English. 

Thirdly, you proved that your heart is also beautiful like your name because you answered me kindly. 

Finally, I got all of my questions very well.

I hope to see you in my country one day and take you to historical places of Iran like Persepolis.  

Thanks a lot and best wishes,

Rose said:

Dear Bijan,

Pointy Brackets is an archetypal pair of characters and are used in the world of computing.

it's this one:   < >   .... it's used as computer icon and it's used like a "frame"

.... example: <hr class="subtitle"> .....

Normally is < the mathematical sign for "less than" : for example: 2 < 3 ....

and  > is the mark mathematical sign for "greaeter than" : for example: 5 > 3 ....

      

I hope I did help a little.



Bijan said:


Hi, dear Rose, 

I am very happy to see your nice explanation here. It is very kind of you. 

Be sure. All of answers to this discussion helped me very much. Dear ELF-Noor, dear NotAclue also helped me very much.  

Thanks to all of you.

I only have one question: 

What does "pointy brackets" mean? 

Thank you and best wishes,

Rose said:

I think you can use parentheses (  )  as additions, as besides-explanations.

For example: He had entered ( accompanied by a beautiful woman) the library.

You also could write: He had entered the library, accompanied by a beautiful woman.

The usage of parentheses to write the information that he was in accompny by a beautiful woman, is a less important information than to write it as a subsidiary sentence.

I understand informations inside of parentheses as additions.


Brackets [also called square brackets] are used in my understanding like deviations or unterruptions in sentences, to explain something or to use quotations within your sentences.

For example:             He was working with Meryl Streep [American actress].

another example       “Words are a pretext. It is the inner bond that draws one person
                              to another, not words.” [Jalaluddin Rumi]
                        

You can use brackets also to put on foreign languages a note how you pronounce it.

For example:  wednesday [wensday]       

Parentheses and brackets are used also in Mathematics. ( just for example )
for example:     (12 x 4) x (3+2)] + [(120-50) + (20 x 20)] = ?
                      [ (48)     x  (5)   ] + [(70)        + (400)]     = ?       
                      [ 240 ]                + [ 470 ]                      = 710     

I know, my explanations are not complete but maybe it helps you a little to understand the difference.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

How to Report a Member
FIRST, go to the member's page. Click "Report Member" at the bottom of the page. Fill in the form and send.

Popular on EnglishClub
ESL Games
Listen to News
English Grammar
English Vocabulary
Search English Club

MyEC Terms of Service

Technical HELP

Please DON'T Plagiarize!

Test your level

MyEC Moderators
Robbie
Grace
Expector Smith
Nadira 
T Mal

Josef Essberger

Official MyEC Page

Official MyEC Welcoming Committee

Learning English Games

English Prepositions List

Play and learn English. Play at home or in class. Fun and educational. Available here!

Forum

To Die Working or to Smell Roses at Last?

Started by Danny Clark in General Discussion. Last reply by Danny Clark yesterday. 49 Replies

I have never started any general discussions, but I do feel like doing it today. First, I will tell you about my friend, my collaborator and a member of my band who died in a car crash about two weeks ago for you to get my idea.We met many years ago…Continue

Love - "End yourself for beloved"!

Started by Mishaikh in General Discussion. Last reply by Onee-chan on Sunday. 18 Replies

"Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own"What do you think?Continue

How to make world Happy

Started by chocoo in General Discussion. Last reply by Mishaikh 12 hours ago. 3 Replies

One thing is that do good with each and everyone can make the world happy.what are your comments

Wife

Started by dara gino in General Discussion. Last reply by dara gino yesterday. 122 Replies

What are the qualities of the good wife?Do I have to choose a woman as beautiful as Brigitte Bardot or Angelina Jolie?Would a religious, kind and caring woman be an ideal wife?We like beauty. Each woman has her own charm.Could appearances be…Continue

© 2017   Created by Josef Essberger.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report Member  |  Terms of Service